Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

laptop fan concerns

• Please log in to reply

Mumps

Mumps

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hello,

For the last few months the fan on my laptop was really loud... but it still worked fine, which was ok with me. Now though, the noise level has gone down to very little, however there is a shaking/rattling sound, and the laptop feels hotter than usual. By hotter I mean... it is almost painful to put my hand against the fan vent. Is there anything you guys could think I could do other than getting a new fan? If thats even possible... last time this happened the fan was discontinued. Oh, and my warranty is up. :D

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Do not use the laptop until you have replaced the fan, the excessive heat is damaging other components and it is not a case of if but when it gets too you will fry the MB and Ram etc
Post your laptop details so we can do some research.

Mumps

Mumps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Here is the laptop, with all of the specs.

http://rog.asus.com/...642D5917D0#tabP

Could I say... get one of those laptop cooling pads to make up the difference? The fan IS running, just I don't think at full capacity. I will have a really hard time doing without this machine since it is my only computer, it was meant as a desktop replacement.

Edited by Mumps, 16 January 2011 - 12:54 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this what you are looking for HERE?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Here is the laptop, with all of the specs.

http://rog.asus.com/...642D5917D0#tabP

Could I say... get one of those laptop cooling pads to make up the difference? The fan IS running, just I don't think at full capacity. I will have a really hard time doing without this machine since it is my only computer, it was meant as a desktop replacement.

Cooling pads are intended to be used along with the CPU fan not to replace it, the CPU fan draws the extreme heat upwards and away from the processor a cooling pad cannot do that, rshaffer61 has provided a link for a replacement fan and from what I have read it is a quick and easy task to do, 5 screws apparently.

Mumps

Mumps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Big thanks to both of you! I have just ordered the part. Got overnight shipping so it should be here by Tuesday, or tomorrow evening if I am lucky, haha!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Glad we could help and please let us know how it works once you have the new fan installed.