Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to start Windows 7 BSOD

• Please log in to reply

Caljif

Caljif

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi,
My laptop randomly starting loop-restarting with the BSOD Driver IRQL not less or equal.
It occasionally happens in Safe Mode, and i'm unable to run normal mode much past the login screen as it restarts after about 3 seconds.
I've attached system specs in Dxdiag output and the Minidump file. Any help you guys could give I would appreciate, it's not even 6 months old yet which is extremely frustrating.

The error message I get when I start in Safe Mode is as follows;

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: d1
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000001
BCP4: FFFFF880012A700D
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Attached Files

Edited by Caljif, 16 January 2011 - 01:33 PM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi caljif,

After reviewing the 1 minidump you attached, it looks like you need to update your SATA driver. The 0x1E (KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) was caused by iastor.sys, the Intel AHCI controller.

1) What is the make and model of your computer? The more specific the better, that way we can find you the right driver.
2) Have you been playing around in the BIOS of your computer lately? Some misconfigurations can cause similar BSODs as well.

Edited by The Admiral, 16 January 2011 - 03:53 PM.

Caljif

Caljif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Not at all, I tend not to play around with any settings that I'm not aware of the consequences of =p.
Thanks very much for the speedy reply, I work nights so i'm sorry that i'm only just able to get back to you.
It's a Sony Vaio E Series, however it's a customisable model. The model number is PCG-71211M. There is also a code on the bottom right of the monitor which reads VPCEB2C5E. Not sure what that refers to though.

Found that my Blu-ray driver was corrupted when I checked the device manager, so I disabled it for now. Tried to roll back the SATA drivers but it still seems to crash.

Edited by Caljif, 17 January 2011 - 01:04 AM.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Okay, try this guy.

http://s02.download....215023-0042.EXE

If that doesn't do it, go to Sony's support site and click on the Detect my model button there on the right side. Follow the prompts and it should get you to a product page. Click on See all file downloads available for your model under Drivers and Software. Click the (+) sign next to Motherboard and download/install both files listed (1 chipset and 1 AHCI controller driver).

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Quick note - you won't be able to find a BD driver out there, just uninstall the drive from device manager and reboot, it will redetect and reinstall the newest driver.

Caljif

Caljif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
That file didn't seem to help, still crashed =/. Would a restore to factory settings (wipe everything) fix it? I have all my files backed up on an external hard drive, would just be a case of copy and paste.
I have a feeling my particular model has been altered or discontinued in some form, as Sony seems unable to detect it =/

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Wow your willingness astounds me. A restore to factory would fix a lot - BSOD, slow startup, program clutter... so I guess if you are up to the copy/paste, go for it. I love fresh installs of Windows. :D

Caljif

Caljif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Had a bit of an issue with that...It's loop restarting because whenever it attempts to reinstall windows it says it didn't shut down correctly or encountered an error. Guessing i'll have to go out and buy another copy of windows 7 rather than try and run it from hard drive =/

Caljif

Caljif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I get as far as 'Setup is preparing your computer for first use' and an error message comes up saying;
'The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "ok" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.'
I click ok and it repeats exactly what its just done, i am only able to access Sony Vaio Recovery and System Repair Discs if booted before Windows, I can't get into windows at all in Safe mode or normal mode as it just does the same error message and reboots itself.
Any ideas?