Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Connection to XP from 7

• Please log in to reply

imhooks

imhooks

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys/gals,

Im having a bit of trouble connecting to my desktop(running XP home SP3). Using my new laptop with Windows 7. I have done everything under the sun to set it up. Ive googled and tried everything. I try to connect to the desktop and it gives me the unable to connect, and 3 reasons why. Is there anything I am missing between these two OSs? I am new to win7.

I have opened ports(3389, etc.) I have allowed the firewall to open that port. I am on a wireless network. My router is set up as well(netgear). I have set up the computer properties, remote tab, allow users...

Am I missing something? I type in the IP of the desktop(which is obv the same as my laptop). I type in the name of the computer "i.e. 'desktop'" Im so frustrated. If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

-Adam

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I type in the IP of the desktop(which is obv the same as my laptop)

That's probably the reason you're having trouble, imhooks.
On any network setup, two computers on the same network cannot have the same IP number.

imhooks

imhooks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, I guess you are correct. I just thought that the IPs were the same because its coming from the same broadband. But I ran an ipconfig on the laptop and I do see the last 2 numbers are different than my desktop. What's changed now is: when looking at the "network map" it shows my laptop connected to a 'question mark' then to my router, then to the internet. I once had my desktop visible on the bottom of the map screen, but now its gone. The ipconfig came up with a bunch of tunnel adapters disconnected. Im a noob, what is that exactly?

Any other help in getting my laptop to remote to my desktop? Thanks again

btw: i am typing in the official name of the desktop and the IP when trying to connect. It still gives me nothing. When the desktop icon was visible on the bottom of the network map screen. I would double click it, it would pull up another browser window. But then it would stay blank or just disappear.

Edited by imhooks, 16 January 2011 - 05:11 PM.