Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Rom keeps disappearing with Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

hottiemom24

hottiemom24

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi there,

I have been having a major issue with my DVD burner, ever since I upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista. My DVD burner is a TSST R/RW. I can get the specific name, once I reboot....since it's 'missing' from my computer at the moment. I have to reboot my computer every time I want to use my DVD drive. It will reappear and work just fine, once I have reboot. I will use it, to burn a DVD and then it will disappear again. When it disappears, it doesn't show up in My Computer, it doesn't appear in my Explorer, nor my Device manager. If I restart completely, then voila, it's there again! I have googled and tried all sorts of 'fixes'. Tried finding and downloading drivers that will supposedly 'fix' the issue and they have not worked. I am exhausted from trying. The drive works perfectly, always has, it has some sort of compatibility issue it seems, with Windows 7. Something changes between the reboot and my completed 'burn' of a disc.

I am begging someone that knows how to fix this, to help me. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1720 and the drive came with the computer.

Any help is appreciated, I just need to have this issue fixed so I don't have to quit what I am doing every time a disc is done. I burn pretty much on a daily basis.

Thanks!!
Cassandra

Advertisements

Bugsy

Bugsy

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi there Cassandra

Make sure you have all the most upto date drivers for your netbook by going here & here check you install the correct version for your netbook - (windows 7 X64 or windows 7 X32)

hope this helps

Bugsy

hottiemom24

hottiemom24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have tried both of those with no luck. The Dell site is supposed to be custom to my system, since I purchased it from them, however it only lets you download for XP and Vista. Like I stated previously, I am running Windows 7. I completely wiped my hard drive to install a full version, didn't do the upgrade. Even pulling up the site links you posted, still only gives the options for XP and Vista. The Intel site only found one download that needed to be updated and it was for my wireless connection. Nothing to do with my DVD drive. :-(

So considering I have done that, tried it and it hasn't solved the issue. Do you possibly have any other suggestions? Would you like to see the log from my computer?

Bugsy

Bugsy

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
From what i read HERE it seems that they is no problem installing vista drivers for you windows 7.

hottiemom24

hottiemom24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Like I said, all my drivers are up to date. I have a program that scans for that and it says they are all current. I didn't have any issue when I was running Vista, with my DVD burner, but since installing Windows 7....now there is a problem. The drive works perfectly fine, as long as I have just reboot my machine. Then it disappears until the next reboot OR sometimes it returns if I shut the laptop lid and come back to it in awhile. It's the most weird thing ever.

Bugsy

Bugsy

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Have you tried updating the driver for HDD at the vendors website, not dell but the manufacturer for the HDD?

also take a look at this it fixes many different issues.

Also check your device manager for any obvious issues there and are you doing all updates from the windows update feature?

From elevated command prompt type > sfc /scannow > enter > let it scan to fix any issues then reboot

next type in start menu search box perfmon /report and hit enter it will take 60 seconds to generate a report for any issues.

see how you go with that

hottiemom24

hottiemom24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I did all the steps you suggested above. I did update all the drivers and other stuff is running better. :-) However, my drive is still doing the same thing. In fact, I ran that Windows DVD fix while the drive was 'disappeared' and it didn't find it at all. I reboot, then ran it again and it said it was fine, with no errors. I ran the Perfmon report and that too had no errors. I don't get it. I even purchased a program that scans all your computer's drivers, DriveMax, and ran that. I was hoping it would find something and it didn't...except some sound and other drivers. I also did a HiJack this, HouseCall, Microsoft Malware, AVG & Kaspersky scan to be sure there wasn't any virus or malware. There is nothing on my computer. I keep my virus stuff up to date anyway, but I thought I would give it a shot!

I even uninstalled the DVD drive this morning and then reboot and let Windows 7 reinstall it. It reinstalled successfully, but then when I went to burn something, it disappeared again before I ever even got through adding files to be burned! I am frustrated and don't know what else to try.