Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply

duncanl

duncanl

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a new (2 weeks old) Acer Aspire laptop. I was checking things out tonight, and noticed there are 2 versions of IE installed. One labeled "Internet Explorer" and the other labled "Internet Explorer 64 bit." The both appear on the start menu. When I look them up on the C: drive, this is what I find:

Internet Explorer - product code 8.07600.16700; created 1/7/2011 3:05am; modified 11/3/2010 10:54pm; located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore 658 kb

Internet Explorer - product code 8.0.7600.16700; created 1/7/2011 3:05am; modified 11/3/2010 11:37pm; located at C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore; 680 kb

Couple of questions (okay, maybe a couple more than a couple!) -

Why do I have two, and why are they both on the start menu?
Which one runs when I open IE?
They have the same product code, created date and time; however, even though the modified date is the same, the time is different.
How was it modifed before it was created?
Why do I have two Program Files folders on the C: drive - one with (x86) and one without.
I noticed these two folders were stamped as created: with(x86) - 1/16/2011 6:39pm; without 1/15/2011 8:09pm

Any information would be very helpful! I am learning as I go along, so I apologize if this is simple computer stuff!

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi duncanl,

Welcome to Geeks to go! ;)

As for the 2 versions of IE:

The x64-based versions of Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition include a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version of Microsoft Internet Explorer. Both versions of Internet Explorer are included to increase compatibility with existing programs and Web sites. The 32-bit version of Internet Explorer can host only native 32-bit ActiveX controls and other 32-bit Web page objects. The 64-bit version of Internet Explorer can host only native 64-bit ActiveX controls and other 64-bit Web page objects.

That information was found in this link here--> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896457

And the reason that there are 2 program file folders, one with (x86), is for a similar reason. The one with (X86) is for 32 bit applications you install. The other is for 64 bit applications.

Unfortunately, switching from 32-bit to 64-bit applications is not as simple as MS would like.

To make the switch, every software vendor, hardware manufacturer, and user would suddenly have to stop making and using anything built on a 32-bit architecture and begin using 64-bit. This is entirely impractical because most people are not willing to just junk their investment in hardware and software and buy everything new again.

You can learn more about that here--> http://helpdeskgeek....-files-folders/

If the links do not answer all your questions, please feel free to ask away!

Donna :D

Edited by DonnaB, 17 January 2011 - 10:33 AM.

duncanl

duncanl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
DonnaB,

Thank you so much - that definately cleared up my questions! Makes sense, too, that they can't just make 32-bit unavailabe overnight. Oh, and thanks for the welcome...I have a feeling I'll be on here quite often!

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi duncanl,

You're very welcome! ;)

I'm happy to know that the info helped to answer your questions.

.I have a feeling I'll be on here quite often!

Now that is really good to hear! See you around! :D

Donna