Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Latitude d620 Operating System

• Please log in to reply

duncanl

duncanl

• Pip
  • 5 posts
We were given a Dell Latitude d620 with no hard drive. Once we installed a hard drive, there was a trial version disk of Windows 7 in the CD drive that automatically starting running once laptop was powered on. We installed the trial version, which has since expired. We, of course, do not have the XP Pro installation disk (previous operating system). What are our options to install an operating system, other than buying a product key for Windows 7? Can we somehow reinstall the old XP Pro without the installation disk? Would like to stay with Win 7, but don't have the finances right now.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!, duncani

This is the wrong forum -- this forum is for Applications, and Windows is not an application.

Anyways, if you want Windows 7 I'm afraid you'll have to buy a copy, complete with licence & product key. The trial version cannot simply be made into a full version by purchasing a key -- you have to uninstall it first, then install a full retail version which has it's own key.

However, there is the question of device drivers to consider, which must be obtained from Dell's website. Get them from anywhere else & they may not function properly since drivers are often made specially for the laptop maker.

Checking on the Dell website I see that the Latitude d620 has no Windows 7 support (ie no Windows 7 drivers).
The drivers they offer are only for Windows 2k, Windows XP or Windows Vista.
Many Vista drivers will work on Windows 7 but that's not guaranteed with all of them.

Your other option is to ring Dell and ask if you can buy a set of the original Recovery Discs, but they won't be able to offer you Windows 7 Recovery Discs for that model, if they can offer you any at all.

Dell's Support website for the USA is here: http://support.dell....s&~ck=mn&~ck=mn

If, however, you really want to stay with Windows 7 you'll have to buy a retail boxed copy, then take your chance with the driver situation, though it's fair to say Windows 7 contains many more drivers than earlier Windows versions so you may not have any driver availability problems at all.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 17 January 2011 - 01:57 PM.

duncanl

duncanl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you, Phillip! I will take your advise about calling Dell for replacement disks, but I will see if I can purchase XP Pro recovery disks since the laptop won't support Win 7 - good to know!! Espeically before I purchased it...whew - you saved me some money!

Oh, and sorry for posting in the wrong place...it was my first time :-)