Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Crashes During Realtek Audio Driver Installation

• Please log in to reply

SanguineLaw

SanguineLaw

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay so I recently formatted my drive and installed windows XP Pro again. I have been having a few problems, firstly it would only display 4 bit mode and a few others etc. But the only problem I can't figure out is how to add sound again. Every time I try to install the Realtek Audio '97 Driver my computer crashes and gives me a blue screen. Here is an everest report (I've seen a few posts of others who have done this so im assuming that's what you will need):

Spoiler

Thanks in advanced.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
If me, I would start by going out to Dell, enter your Service Tag Number or model number and find the drivers for your audio device, which, according to the Everest report, is an Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1].

SanguineLaw

SanguineLaw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've tried this and it will not let me download the audio driver at all, I'm sounding like a total noob at this but are there any other options?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
What do you mean it won't let you download? Why not? Do you get an error?

SanguineLaw

SanguineLaw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Dell has some kind of download manager, but every time I run it i get an error message saying "there are no files to download. Please go to Drivers and Downloads to select file(s)". Plus I'm not entirely sure what windows NT 4.0 is (it told me to select an operating system on the website and the only options were BIOS, MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows NT 3.5x and Windows NT 4.0). The only one of those options with an audio download is the Windows NT 4.0 option.

The link to the page I'm currently viewing is here:
http://support.dell....anConsent=False

Every time I click the download button it gives me the option to download the download manager, not the file itself. I'm not even sure that this is the file I need to get sound on my computer either so it's quite frustrating to download.

I've also tried googling "Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1] driver download" to see if there's any other downloads I could try but it's just links to the Realtek AC'97 driver download which is the driver that makes my computer crash in the first place.