Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD, Can't start XP in safe or normal modes

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep probably means the network stuff is going to have to be setup manually when done.
I just noticed something earlier. This disk you are using is it the same version as what was installed on the system before?
Home, Media or Pro and is it the same SP number?
Is it a Retail or OEM version?

Advertisements

JAFL

JAFL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Yep probably means the network stuff is going to have to be setup manually when done.
I just noticed something earlier. This disk you are using is it the same version as what was installed on the system before?
Home, Media or Pro and is it the same SP number?
Is it a Retail or OEM version?

It should be the same version (XP Home). I just received this installation disk from Dell yesterday, it's supposed to be specifically for my computer.

Edited by JAFL, 20 January 2011 - 03:36 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ahh ok so you are installing with the actual recovery cd then?
That is good to hear and it also makes no sense why the errors are popping up now. :D
Well continue on and I will watch for your updates.

JAFL

JAFL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yes I'm using the actual recovery CD. Hopefully all those popups weren't a sign of bad things to come. I'm currently in the first boot step, the screen still says "please wait". I read that the first boot is supposed to take longer, but it's already been about 10 minutes.

Update: It's been up to 22 minutes now, lights for hard drive and cd drive are not blinking, getting concerned.

Edited by JAFL, 20 January 2011 - 04:13 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At 30 minutes turn system off and restart. Let me know what happens then.

JAFL

JAFL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
After 35 minutes I shut the computer down and restarted it (and took the recovery cd out of the drive).

I turned the system back on and it booted up into windows after about 8 to 10 minutes (and at one point said it was setting up personal settings). At first glance everything looks in place, my settings seem to be in tact. I suppose the next big test would be to perform another reboot?

System is running very slow. It's running automatic windows updates.

Edited by JAFL, 20 January 2011 - 04:53 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah updates are going to take a while. Let me know when it finally finishes and please do the following at the same time.
Please Go to

1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

JAFL

JAFL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Yeah updates are going to take a while. Let me know when it finally finishes and please do the following at the same time.
Please Go to

1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

There are still some updates going on. Here is the attached device manager jpg. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• devmngr.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK Device Manager looks good. No conflicts and all drivers seem to be loading correctly.

JAFL

JAFL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

OK Device Manager looks good. No conflicts and all drivers seem to be loading correctly.

rshaffer,

Everything seems to be running smoothly so far. I had to reinstall IE8, but that's it so far. Bootups are back to normal speed. Just thought I'd run a few questions by you so as to avoid this problem from possibly coming back:

> Do you think I should clean out any references to that iomega old zip drive driver in my Registry, or possibly reinstall it (even though I don't use it)?

> Should I do anything to address the 'Entry Point not Found' popups I got during the repair for fixmapi.exe or setup50.exe?

> Oddly enough, one thing that has been off since the repair is when I come onto this forum, everyone's avatars are cut off. I've attached an example. Could this be a sign of something that needs updating?

Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Attached Thumbnails

• clipped avatar.JPG

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

> Do you think I should clean out any references to that iomega old zip drive driver in my Registry, or possibly reinstall it (even though I don't use it)?

I never advise someone to start messing in the registry as that could be a disaster if you accidently delete something wrong.

Should I do anything to address the 'Entry Point not Found' popups I got during the repair for fixmapi.exe or setup50.exe?

Have you found anything that is not working due to the errors?
Are you using that system now to post here?

Oddly enough, one thing that has been off since the repair is when I come onto this forum, everyone's avatars are cut off. I've attached an example. Could this be a sign of something that needs updating?

This is a known bug with one of the skins used for the forum.
On the main forum page go to the bottom and on the left. Open the drop down menu seen below and change it to another skin.. Not sure which you are using but try a different one and then see if the avatars then show up.

JAFL

JAFL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Have you found anything that is not working due to the errors?
Are you using that system now to post here?

So far I haven't anything not working. Yes I'm using that system. I agree with you about the registry, I'd rather not tinker with things while it's working.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If there is nothing that is trying to use those entries then they sit there.
Did you try the steps for the GTG skin issue you were having and if so did it resolve itself?
I'm glad to see the issues have seemed to correct themselves with the reinstallation.
Is the system in question the one you are now posting from?
How is the speed when booting up, opening and closing programs and on the internet?

JAFL

JAFL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

If there is nothing that is trying to use those entries then they sit there.
Did you try the steps for the GTG skin issue you were having and if so did it resolve itself?

I changed skins and it worked.

Is the system in question the one you are now posting from?
How is the speed when booting up, opening and closing programs and on the internet?

Yes it is. The speed has returned to normal in those situations. It was just that first boot or two after the repair that were slow.

Edited by JAFL, 21 January 2011 - 01:21 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear. :D
It took a little but it seems that you have finally gotten your system back to normal. ;)
I will continue to monitor this topic in case there is something that creeps up but it looks like you have resolved your issue. ;) ;)