Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Boot System

• Please log in to reply

TuckerCat

TuckerCat

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all, I'm new and hope someone can help me. I just got my new computer and I'm working on a manual migration to it. My new Dell has Windows 7 and I'm having some compatibility issues with some of my software. I decided that the easiest thing to do would be to create a dual boot Windows 7/Windows XP system since I know the software will run on XP. I partitioned/formatted 40G on my hard drive so I have somewhere to put XP. I then boot from my Windows XP cd. Everything seems to be going along fine but eventually I end up with a screen message that says "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer". The message goes on to say that it may be a virus or a problem with my hard drive. I know neither of these possibilities are the problem so now I'm stuck. Anybody have a clue about what I should do next? It may be something obvious, I'm not particularly good at this stuff. Please help!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
There's a good tutorial here: http://www.howtogeek...mputer-with-xp/

You may have missed something in your last attempt.

TuckerCat

TuckerCat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks anyway but I gave up on it. Too many things can go wrong from the forums I've read. Honestly, I think Microsoft dropped the ball on this one. Seems like a whole lot of people like me have Win 7 Home edition and need to run some older software. Thanks again!!!