Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe has stopped working upon login and left with black screen

• Please log in to reply

htid28

htid28

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I have a problem with a friends laptop its a Toshiba Equium A210-1C4 running windows vista but i am not sure of the SP

It starts up and logs in fine but a box comes up saying 'explorer.exe has stopped working' and leaves me with a black screen. Keyboard shortcuts like winkey+r etc dont work apart from ctrl+alt+del, everything from ctrl alt del works fine including task manager. Its exactly the same in safe mode, last known good config gives me blue screen of death as does sfc /scannow from the command prompt. Startup repair gives me a box to login as either admin, guest or 'username' it wont run on 'username' or guest account and it wont log in to the admin account as it says password incorrect (hidden admin account is disabled, it doesnt show up on the windows login screen) and my friend says the admin account has'nt been set up as far as she is aware. There are no system restore points so thats out the window and there were no factory backup disks made. chkdsk stays on 95% (been like that for 2 and a half hours now) There have been no software or hardware changes or installations recently so i'm guessing it to be somesort of virus. I read on another website something about checking 2 registry entries (startup & userinit) the startup entry was the same but the userinit was just 'userinit.exe' so i changed it to what it said 'C\:Windows\System32\userinit.exe' but still no difference.

I think i have listed everything and hope someone could help me with this please

Thank you in advance

Just to update chkdsk finished and its still the same

Managed to run iexplorer.exe and 'use proxy server for your lan' was ticked so i untick it and apply but it keeps ticking itself so im now thinking its malware. Cant download any scanners like avg or windows one care.

Edited by htid28, 17 January 2011 - 07:06 PM.

Advertisements