Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with new website

• Please log in to reply

Alicia D

Alicia D

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Where to begin...

Hi, I am Alicia.. and while I know a lot about Photoshop.. I know nothing when it comes to the web. It really confuses the heck out of me. I've had a guy who has taken care of things for me for the past couple of years, set up my current site, etc. but I've lost contact with him.

Here's my situation and what I need.. (I know that this site is free but I'd like to make a donation to the charity of the persons choice who can actually help me out.)

I currently have my wedding website set up. It is a template site bought through flashpalette.com. This template was FTP'd to the server using Winscp( My FTP Client ). My hosting is through HostForWeb.

I shoot weddings and boudoir and want to separate the two (which are currently combined on my current website.) In order to do this, I've purchased another template site from Flash Palette and I want to use the new site for the boudoir and keep the old site for my wedding work.

Essentially, I'd like to keep these all on the same FTP Client (Winscp) under the same log in and everything but set as 2 different directories so I can make my updates/syncs, etc. all through the one. In order to do this, I believe I have to set up a subdomain off of my current wedding website name. And then I'd direct my new domain name that I purchased for the boudoir website to that subdomain name. Sounds good if I am correct but I have no idea, again, how to do this.

Ideally, I'd like to do a remote connect with someone who is willing to help me while talking to them on the phone or using an open text document or something so that I can see what's going on (and not risk messing up my current website messing around with things I have no idea what they do.) I would really appreciate the help!

Advertisements

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi there,

I only use Dreamweaver, with an FTP connection, so unfortunately I can't assist with the details, but I can tell how you to not mess up your current site - duplicate the first page you work on (since you're still learning - this isn't necessary, though), make sure you're working on your local server (the files stored on your computer) and that your programme is not set to update the online page automatically or to work online. Then view the new pages in whatever browser you're using first (the local version, stored on your PC) and, if it doesn't look right, just delete it, duplicate it again, and try again until you get it right. Once you get it right, you can delete the old page (or move it to another directory on your PC, if you feel safer that way), then re-name the new page to the same as the old one, and upload it.

I realise this isn't entirely helpful, but hopefully it'll help you to feel more at ease changing the template, knowing that you won't be messing up your online site that others can see.

kate0558

kate0558

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Are you trying to create a new website under the old one? or do you want two totally different domain names. The FTP information comes from your webhosting service which is still the same login information. I have two websites under my web host hame with two different domains but i havent tried to ftp anything to the second domain yet. I would assume it would still be the same login info for the ftp regardless of how many sites you have up there. try it. thats the only way to tell but i wouldnt think you'd need to create a subdomain to do that.