Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My laptop makes an annoying clicking noise..

• Please log in to reply

CARAH

CARAH

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well, i have a Dell Inspiron Mini 1012, and in the left side, near the touch pad there comes this really annoying clicking noise.. i'm not really sure how else to describe it. But it really gets bad when i go on webcam, which is really annoying and distracting and i wanted to know if anyone knew of a way for me to stop it. I'd really appreciate it..

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I checked the manual for your Mini 1012 and it looks like the hard drive is located on the left side under the keyboard. The hard drive is the only component of your system that contains a moving part, so it sounds like you might have a hard drive problem. I would recommend that you back up your data immediately to a removable hard drive or flash drive.

Once you have your data backed up, boot the computer and press F12 when you see the Dell splash screen. This will bring up the Boot Menu. If I remember correctly option #4 will be the Hardware Diagnostics. Select that option and follow the prompts to start the diagnostics. You will want the extended, or long test which will provided a more in-depth analysis of the hard drive. Keep in mind, this will take a long time, so you might want to begin the test at night and make sure you have the laptop plugged in when you do this.

Please report back when completed.