Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Prblems w/ login after system restore

• Please log in to reply

Laptop Boy

Laptop Boy

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I went to do a system restore on my laptop this morning, and now I have a serious problem. When I go to start up the windows screen with the progress bar comes up. Then when the blue screen comes up for the log in it crashes.

Also, the windows screen doesn't say XP home edition anymore, it just says windows XP. I have tried going into safe mode and it does the same thing. I have tried all the choices. Is there anything I can do?

And what is XP Media Center Edition? That is what it says my OS is now.

When I entered "disable automatic restart on system failure", I got a blue screen that says:

STOP; coooo21a (Fatal System Error)
The windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a ststus of 0xc0000018 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down. <_<

Please help me if you can, Thanks. :D

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome back Laptop Boy. <_<

It doesn't sound like this is the correct restore disk for your system. Are you sure it's the correct disk? Have you ever attempted a restore before?

Laptop Boy

Laptop Boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I have done a system restore 3 times before.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
That's very strange. <_< I'd be sure the restore CD was clean and scratch free, and try another restore. Some install files were definitely corrupted.

Laptop Boy

Laptop Boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I think there is some confusion here. I didn't use a CD, I used "sytem restore" that is in the system. It is one of the great features of having XP that I like.

Laptop Boy

Laptop Boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
What are my options here? Will I have to reinstall the OS again? <_<

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
have you tried a repair installation?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I used "sytem restore" that is in the system

Like holding down the F11 button while booting? Many mfg's put the Windows XP info on a hidden hard drive parition to save money. It's the same as booting from a CD.

Laptop Boy

Laptop Boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

have you tried a repair installation?

Is that by using the istallation disc that came with the c?

Can anyone tell me what happened, and how serious this is?? <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I really don't understand what might have happened. <_< Have you tried performing another restore?

Laptop Boy

Laptop Boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I don't know what happened either. I tried to do a repair with the installation disc, and it said it couldn't do a repair. So after much thought, I reinstalled my XP, and my puter is running fine again. <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Bummer, hope you had backups. Installing, upgrading, repairing has all become much better with XP, but it's still a big risk.

pikapiedra

pikapiedra

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When you have automatic updates on (default at 03:00) and you have a hacked version of xp and/or? beta version of sp2, the new updates will produce this error. I used this version on different pc's and all are getting that stop error 0xC000018

Re-installing with the beta/hacked version of xp will produce the same error as soon as updates are downloaden from the internet. If you have no other version, do not install updates when installing and disable automatic updates as soon as you can. You will not get any updates but you're able to work around this problem till you get an updated version.

I just got un updated version of xp and in the process of re-installing these pc's
Will let you know if it works.

happy updating... :tazz:

pikapiedra