Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Shutdown

• Please log in to reply

munleyj

munleyj

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
When I shutdown my computer it starts backup again. What could be wrong. I am using Windows7 32-bit. Would appreciate the help.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Could be a setting in the BIOS Setup which is "waking" it up (Wake on LAN, Wake on Mouse, etc), but if the PC used to shutdown okay and no settings have been altered in the BIOS, that's unlikely.

That leaves either the computer's Power Button at the front being faulty, or more likely the PSU (Power Supply Unit) is faulty inside the PC case.

Just check the "Wake On ---" settings in the BIOS first to make sure they are all disabled. If they are, then it's probably one of the two components I mentioned above.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 18 January 2011 - 09:05 AM.

JnMrule Ent.

JnMrule Ent.

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Has this always happened since you installed Windows 7 ?
If so, I advise you to make sure that you have the latest and greatest FIRMWARE version of your BIOS.
Just be careful when updating that part of your system as you may render your system useless if this is performed incorrectly. So...that said a technicians should actually be the only people to do this. The upside is that this usually does fix issues like what you are experiencing. I've been a computer technician for over 15 years and this has proven to be very effective in my resolutions to stop this from occuring in all of the computers experiencing an issue of this type.
Make sure that you get these update STRAIGHT FROM MANUFACTURER as they are the only trustworthy updates to implement when dealing with such critical areas of your system. :D