Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help adjusting the volume on my laptop?

• Please log in to reply

EmmaE

EmmaE

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi there!

I recently purchased a new Toshiba Satellite A665 laptop. As a matter of fact, this forum helped me with 32 bit vs 64 bit install problems just a couple weeks ago, so I've been a fan since then. :D

My issue now is that my volume isn't high enough sometimes. I work from my computer editing and listening to court transcripts, and I need the volume up loud and clear so there won't be any errors as far as me missing the spoken word! This is strictly for playback, by the way, as I have no recording issues or anything like that. I've got the built-in equalizer slider thingy up as far as it will go, and it's still not loud enough. The clarity is beautiful, but I need volume. Any suggestions?

A friend mentioned "Audacity" to boost the sound, but I wanted to check here first to see if anyone is familiar with it or if you have any other suggestions. Obviously I'm not techy by any stretch at all, so I'll need clear instructions!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Emma

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The graphic equalizer sliders don't increase the volume as such, they are used to adjust the "quality" of the sound between the high and low frequencies.

If there's a volume icon the taskbar, left-click it once and a vertical slider should appear. When that slider is dragged to the top, the volume is on full and there's not much you can do to go beyond that with the relatively small built-in speakers -- they can only do so much.

If you want it any louder you need to buy a pair of "active" (mains-powered) speakers and plug them into the laptop's external "speaker out" socket, though that will not be practical when on the move.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 19 January 2011 - 06:43 AM.

EmmaE

EmmaE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I've got the volume up as loud as it will go, so I guess I'm done and it looks like I'll have to take your advice.

Sometimes I work with WAV files that have been recorded with the SPEEX codec, so I found out that "Audacity" will not work with that codec. Are you aware of any volume boosting program that might?

Thanks for posting!

Emma