Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player 7.1

• Please log in to reply

prepdude

prepdude

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Whenever I try to stream media in Windows Media Player, I get an error that says: "TAPISRV caused an invalid page fault in module TAPISRV.EXE at 015f:0041e003." It's killing me.

I looked up similar errors and was told to adjust my bandwidth settings, which I have. No help. I re-installed WMP. No change. And there seems to be nothing written on errors in this particular module. Does anyone have any advice?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the 98 CD then try running system file checker to see if it shows missing or corrupt files

This looks at another way of replacing the files, it does not list the error you have given but if this replaces the whole thing then it should repair it

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;306424

prepdude

prepdude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I don't have the CD...any other ways of fixing this problem?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have 98SE, try Media Player 9

http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

There is a conflict with the bandwith detection used by Media Player, to replace the files for any Windows version, you are almost certain to need the CD.

If you change the player then it should run, do you get a problem with Real Player or Winamp

If you have 98, you can get most versions of media player here

http://www.oldversion.com/

The Microsoft site gives the impression Media Player 9 is for 98SE on, oldversion say you can run media player 9 with 98

Edited by Keith, 31 May 2005 - 03:14 PM.

prepdude

prepdude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have Windows 98, not SE. I tried to download WMP 9 at oldversion.com, but got a prompt that said WMP 9 is only for users of Windows 98SE and up.

I don't have any trouble streaming .wmv files through Winamp or RealPlayer. Quicktime also works fine with streaming. But occassionally a website will only stream through a WMP applet on their site, which is when I experience the problem. I also have trouble streaming radio stations on the WMP program itself.

If I uninstall WMP from my system and delete every 7.0 file, then re-download it from oldversion, would that take care of my problem? Or would that just destroy my WMP?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you remove media player it should roll back to 6.4 and you could see how this performs with the specific sites with wmv applets. When you have 6.4 you could try either 7 or 7.1 from oldversion to see which is best