Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wow. So confused, help!

• Please log in to reply

Brent Bertrand

Brent Bertrand

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Okay. I got a Compaq Windows 7 64 bit laptop. 2 GB RAM.

Something very strange is going on....

Last night, I shut it down. The next time I start it up....everything is messed up!

Nothing would load. I tried Firefox...nothing. Google Chrome came up at first, but then kept saying the plug in kept crashing. I tried again and it came up but then quickly froze and said Google Chrome has stopped working. I tried running Malwarebytes....it said Malwarebytes has stopped working. So I give up and go to bed hoping I can fix it today.

I try today, and its just weird. Nothing would load again, besides my Avast and Threatfire...I run the scans and they're clean. So I decide to do a system restore to 4 days ago. It seems to be working, but when I log in it just went to a black screen. So I push the power button and go into Safe Mode and it said the restore was successful. So I restart normally, and the Network and Wireless connection thing takes FOREVER to load. Finally it loads. Finally got CCleaner to work so I do a registry scan and stuff. Firefox and Chrome worked again. But then other programs wouldnt load and more problems came up I cant even remember. So I do another system restore to 2 days before. Same thing happened, black screen so I restarted in safe mode and it said it was successful. I then ran Malwarebytes in SafeMode and halfway through the full scan, my computer shuts off on its own. I restart it and go to SafeMade and run a quick scan with Malwarebyes and it said there was ONE infected HiJack file or something. So I delete it then restart normally. My Network and Wireless connection thing still takes forever to load. Once it finally loads, everything seems to work, but still taking longer to open. My Avast once again does not work because I restored. So I got it back up but had to restart again. Once I restart the Network and Connections thing loads right up. But Avast or Threatfire dont start up automatically. I then try CCleaner and get a Windows C++ runtime library error or whatever. Nothing else will load again.....

What the...!!! Is this thing just totally messed up or what? Please help!!

Advertisements

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Do you use a router and a firewall like comodo?

http://majorgeeks.co...wall_d5033.html

Brent Bertrand

Brent Bertrand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I do use a router on my main computer. Its wireless so yes I use it for my laptop.

I however don't use a firewall like Comodo on my laptop (I do on my main computer), I just use Windows Firewall on my laptop because for some reason there's complications with Comodo and this type of laptop...

But yeah....this sucks.

Brent Bertrand

Brent Bertrand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
BTW, I searched the forums and found a similar problem to mine in another thread:

http://www.geekstogo...virus-infected/

Seems very similar to my issues....

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
When you say a program fails to open, does any dialog box appear at all?

Brent Bertrand

Brent Bertrand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Yes. It says malwarebytes or google chrome "has stopped working" and then it gives me the option to send the report in or whatever and then it closes.

Edited by Brent Bertrand, 19 January 2011 - 12:13 AM.

Brent Bertrand

Brent Bertrand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Bump!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tutorial for running chkdsk in Win 7 located HERE.

Brent Bertrand

Brent Bertrand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I went to computer properties, tools, then disk check...I then clicked the box where it says "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". I then had to restart, once it restarted, the disk check started. But then all of a sudden, my computer shuts down around 85%. It did this THREE times!....So after the 3rd time, I go back and I left the "scan for and attempt recovery" box unchecked. I restarted, and it only took like 5 minutes to complete and then restarted my computer......

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please download and run Hardware Monitor
Installation (setup version only)
HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed.
The program handles the most common sensor chips, like ITE® IT87 series, most Winbond® ICs, and others. In addition, it can read modern CPUs on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.T, and video card GPU temperature.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Advertisements

Brent Bertrand

Brent Bertrand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the reply....

But I cant open any web browser to get to those sites!!!

I tried opening Chrome twice and it said Google Chrome has stopped working. I tried opening it again and it wont open at all now. Firefox or IE never even opened.....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you using a different system to get to here?
If so download the programs to that system then put them on a flash drive or a cdrw and then move them to the problem system. Same steps when any logs are requested for you to post.

Brent Bertrand

Brent Bertrand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Okay thanks, will a CD-R work? Don't have any CD-RWs or a flash drive....

Edited by Brent Bertrand, 23 January 2011 - 01:00 PM.

Brent Bertrand

Brent Bertrand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Okay I downloaded Hardware Monitor on the system Im using now.

I then went to the Toshiba site and clicked CD Image and it downloaded and opened in Winrar.....what do I do now?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.