Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting my old TV to my laptop

• Please log in to reply

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
I used to have a Toshiba laptop, and i would just simply connect it to my t.v. using an S-video cable. Well. new computers do not have this option. And my tv does not have HDMI.

I have tried several PC TO TV converters, but no matter which one I use, and no matter the resolution, I end up with scrolling lines down the t.v.

Obviously, there is a syncing issue here.

My computer OUTPUTS are: HDMI, VGA
My t.v. INPUTS are: RCA, S-Video

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If you have tried converters with no luck, then it would seem like a good excuse to buy that new 65" 3D LCD big screen TV you always wanted. It will surely have all the inputs you could desire. Of if not quite in the budget, maybe a nice 32".

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Le sigh....

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I wish I had more to offer, but again, you tried adapters so there's really nothing else.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Is there maybe be a "variable" converter out there -- one that can perhaps sync and re-sync automatically until it finds the right setting? The 3 I've tried all had the same chipset. And, thus, the same few settings (and can only "read" 60hz outputs).

There must be something more advanced out there...w/out the cost of a new t.v. =]

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Never heard of a variable converter. Got an example? Sync and re-sync really is not a factor once you get the right connectors.

Are you sure those are the only two inputs your TV supports? And there are two standards that use RCA connectors - composite and component. Composite typically has 1 yellow connector for video and stereo left and right with a red and a white connector for audio. Component is video only with red, green and blue. Audio is handled via a separate cable. You need to determine which one you have.

But also, for many, many years TVs have supported 75-ohm F-Type connectors for coaxial cable TV connections. So if your TV does not have an F-Connector, then it is time to retire that TV.

There must be something more advanced out there...w/out the cost of a new t.v. =]

"Advanced"? That's the problem, isn't it? It appears you are trying to adapt antique technology to modern. At some point, you just have to let go of the old. You can't put a modern jet engine on a Sopwith Camel.

Now if your TV does have an F-Type input connector, you might look at an RF modulator adapter to go from your VGA out to your F-Type in. Another alternative may be to buy a TV Tuner card. That said, if look for your cheapest alternative, go to a thrift shop and get an old VCR that has the inputs you need.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Never heard of a variable converter. Got an example? Sync and re-sync really is not a factor once you get the right connectors.

No. I'm just shocked there isn't something that can automatically find the right sync rate.

Are you sure those are the only two inputs your TV supports? And there are two standards that use RCA connectors - composite and component. Composite typically has 1 yellow connector for video and stereo left and right with a red and a white connector for audio. Component is video only with red, green and blue. Audio is handled via a separate cable. You need to determine which one you have.

Uh, yeah, quite sure I've got it right. My DVD/-R does have a composite input but, really, this doesn't help me. Either way, I'm taking VGA output and turning it into a different signal.

But also, for many, many years TVs have supported 75-ohm F-Type connectors for coaxial cable TV connections. So if your TV does not have an F-Connector, then it is time to retire that TV.

"Advanced"? That's the problem, isn't it? It appears you are trying to adapt antique technology to modern. At some point, you just have to let go of the old. You can't put a modern jet engine on a Sopwith Camel.

Now if your TV does have an F-Type input connector, you might look at an RF modulator adapter to go from your VGA out to your F-Type in. Another alternative may be to buy a TV Tuner card. That said, if look for your cheapest alternative, go to a thrift shop and get an old VCR that has the inputs you need.

That's pretty much what I'm planning at this point (the RF modulator). It's not about "letting go of the old." If I could afford a $3-400 t.v., I wouldn't bother posting here about this.

Thank you for the information and insight.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

It's not about "letting go of the old." If I could afford a $3-400 t.v., I wouldn't bother posting here about this.

I apologize. I fully understand what it means to be on a tight budget. Of course there are some 24" TVs for $200 - $250, but if you are used to 4:3 ratio full screen, a 24" widescreen will look tiny from across the room.

That's pretty much what I'm planning at this point (the RF modulator)

So your TV does have the necessary F-Type connector? If so, then that would be good and you can get one of those pretty inexpensively - $20 or less.