Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Laptop Windows install BSOD

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have a DELL Inspiron 1545. I gently tossed it on my bed thinking there was nothing but soft blankets and mattress but it landed on the charger for the laptop. Windows would not load after that. I tried re-installing Windows but I get a BSOD right after it says its gonna Setup the install. I bought a new hard drive so the hard drive would not be an issue. I can access the BIOS so I do not think the motherboard is the issue. Anyone have hints as to what the problem may be? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Being able to access the BIOS is no guarantee that the motherboard is okay, it only confirms that the BIOS chip on the motherboard is working.
I think you'll have to post more information as it could be any internal component, or may be several.
One key bit of information you need to post is what the BSOD actually says, such as the type of error (usually shown in capital letters near the top), and the error codes below that). Without more information it's very difficult to help "at a distance" with this type problem.

Also please say whether or not you are getting the normal, single "beep" from the BIOS hardware check when you first turn the laptop on?

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 19 January 2011 - 06:15 AM.

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,740 posts
I'd test the RAM.

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

Windows Memory Diagnostic

Note: You should NOT see ANY errors with either. If you do, replace the RAM. (http://www.crucial.com)