Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unidentified Network

• Please log in to reply

Klutz_24

Klutz_24

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey! I have this big problem and I dont know how to fix it. This is how it all started. I was using my Laptop and the internet was working fine no problem at all. I was done using it so I turned it off. I noticed that my router was about to fall from my desk so I moved it but I accidently unplugged the power cable thats connected to my router so I plugged it back in thinking its not a big deal. A few hours later I wanted to use my laptop again so I turned it on and tried connecting to the internet but MY Network's name wasnt there. It was replaced by Unidentified Network (Wireless). So I tried connecting to that one and it askd me for a Security Key or Passphrase. I typed the one that was for MY Network and still it didnt work, it said Connection Unsuccessful This computer is connected to Wireless but does not have access to the internet. On the bottom of the screen was like a little yellow caution sign. I dont know what to do now.The Only way I can access the internet is by using an Ethernet Cable. Can someone please help me fix this step by step back to the way it was?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
When you accidentally unplugged the router then plugged it back in, it probably "reset" itself to factory defaults like when it was new.
This often resets all the wireless settings back to what they were originally, including the security password.
Using your ethernet connection, open a web browser and log in to your router's configuration settings (usually by typing http://192.168.0.1 into the address bar) and check the wireless settings.