Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

File Name Warning error message

• Please log in to reply

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
OK, copy that file to a blank floppy disk and then delete that file. Restart and see if it still comes back with that message.

Advertisements

mcipoletti

mcipoletti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
says the file is too large and cant copy it to a floppy

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
How big is that file?

OK, just drag and drop it straight to the recycle bin. Or if you have a cd burner, burn it on a CD, unless it's even bigger than a CD also.

mcipoletti

mcipoletti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
i've tried deleting it but it comes back. not sure where it is coming from

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
OK, did you install any new hardware or software before this file name warning message came up?

Unless anyone else has any other ideas, I say it's best to format and reinstall Windows. Install your programs and see if that error still shows up.

mcipoletti

mcipoletti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
If i reinstall windows will I lose all of the programs I have installed on the machine??? I'm not entirely sure I still have all the original discs???

Could this be malawre? I did post a hijacthis log on that forum as well last night.

As far as the galaxies issue is concerned it appears that a portion of the problem is that the launchpad.exe file, somehow got into the AOL folder. I tried uninstalling aol and reinstalling it and this allowed a new version of aol on my machine but for somereason it did not fully uninstall the old version and now I can't delete the folder or completly remove the old one??

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Your HijackThis log is clean.

If you do the clean install for Windows, then yes, you will lose all the programs and data files. If you install it over the current XP installation (not recommended since it leaves junk behind), then you will have all the programs and data files intact. Either way, I suggest that you back up your data because if there are any software or hardware errors that causes your hard drive to crash, who knows what will happen to the data. So it's better safe than sorry. :tazz:

This problem is weird. I can only find one site with this problem being mentioned and I have asked you to try them out above already. So I'm all out of ideas.

I will ask a Tech Expert to take a look at this.

mcipoletti

mcipoletti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok so Now I was checking into soem firewall setting and I see this file is granted acces on my firewall with Mcafee and it won't let me change the settings??

Should I be concerned

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
I never used McAfee before but have tried to help a co-worker with some other setting. All I can say is that it's probably not as easy to use as a firewall like ZoneAlarm (free for personal use). How about deleting it in McAfee Firewall?

I would be concerned since this program is unknown to us. Does it have an extension when you see that file in McAfee firewall? Or still no extension?

I have PMed one of the Techs here. Not sure if he received or checked the PM yet.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
been out all weekend and will be spotty today, am taking a look...if I don't get back today, please bump...

I am tending toward the firewall acting oddly, but let's check that theory

Step 1

Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

On the general tab, select SELECTIVE START UP then uncheck
load system.ini
load win.ini
load startup services
load startup items

Reboot.
Does the error repeat? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

If not, Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

check load startup items
Reboot.
Does the error repeat? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

msconfig
<enter>

check load startup services
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load win.ini
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load system.ini
Reboot.

Report back

-------------------------------------

STEP 2

When you find the error, repeating, you have arrived at the group that is causing the problem.

Leave everything as is and go to the tab with the same name as the one you just re-enabled and uncheck everything you find within the tab....reboot.

Does the probelm recur? If not, check one item and reboot, continuing until you discover the offending application/service

Then report back

Advertisements