Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install/uninstall certain programs like itunes

• Please log in to reply

blueblue

blueblue

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
I got a good defrag program out lf the deal, too. :D

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
All the thanks go to Macboatmaster. He figured out the missing step I missed. :blush:

blueblue

blueblue

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
It's ok, you did a wonderful job. You were patient and kind. It means a LOT to me. :thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hopefully you can get use of both the TFC and Defrag programs to keep the system running good from now on.

blueblue

blueblue

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Yes, I used the defrag on my win 7 machine, it seems to have helped its performance. I think it helped my friend's computer, too. I will put it on my xp, too.

It seems to me many mistakes are operator error. I've made some embarrassing ones, too. My friend is glad everything's ok now.

I'm glad I came to this site. :thumbsup:

Edited by blueblue, 27 April 2012 - 06:01 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well it was a stroke of luck really.
As soon as I realised it was a digital camera, it was really a matter of looking up the instructions for the GE A950.

Now many people would probably NOT agree with me, but I would say that the defrag on Windows 7 is far better than the defrag on XP and Windows 7 manages its files better than XP, my experience is that the fragmentation on 7 APPEARS to be less than that on XP, with the apparent same usuage of the file systems.

I personally would not think that you would have to use Auslogics on 7. It did have great advantages I think over the XP defrag, which was a bit like watching grass grow at times, but I find 7 so much better.

ONLY my opinion and frequently missed is the fact that on the GUI for defrag in Windows 7, it will defrag the file system, which is of course the main purpose, but there is a lesser known way of using the defrag on 7 from the cmd prompt, which will also consolidate the free space.

Open a cmd prompt with admin rights.
Now type the following command:
defrag C: /X.
C: is the drive letter you want to defrag and X is the switch for the free space consolidation option.

defrag [drive letter]: [switches]

Switches:
NOTE: The ones in red below are new to Windows 7.

• /A - Perform analysis on the specified volumes.
  • /C - Perform the operation on all volumes.
  • /E - Perform the operation on all volumes except those specified.
  • /F - Forces defragmentation of the volume when free space is low.
  • /H - Run the operation at normal priority (default is low).
  • /M - Run the operation on each volume in parallel in the background.
  • /R - Performs partial defragmentation (default). Attempts to consolidate only fragments smaller than 64 megabytes (MB).
  • /T - Track an operation already in progress on the specified volume.
  • /U - Print the progress of the operation on the screen.
  • /V - Print verbose output containing the fragmentation statistics.
  • /W - Performs full defragmentation. Attempts to consolidate all file fragments, regardless of their size.
  • /X - Perform free space consolidation on the specified volumes.

blueblue

blueblue

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Interesting mention of the defrag program, I have great news about that. I ran it on my win 7 machine and it did something wonderful that I never expected- it cut my AV scan time way down!

Normally my scan would take 3-5 hours, but recently I re-installed it because it wasn't working right, I just reinstalled it over itself, then the scan time doubled and even went over that. Last night I ran the full scan as I do every week, expecting to see it finished at least 10 hours later, and, to my surprise, it was done in an hour and 35 minutes! I KNEW it was because of the defrag program, so I wanted to share this with others to let them know how effective it is.

Edited by blueblue, 28 April 2012 - 09:34 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah the system being defragged will cause everything to slow down since everything is thrown all around the hard drive and not together like it is suppose to be.

blueblue

blueblue

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

<br />Yeah the system being defragged will cause everything to slow down since everything is thrown all around the hard drive and not together like it is suppose to be.

I know, and I had used the win 7 defrag but still the AV was very slow, the net and other functions were very slow, too. That defrag you gae me is fantastic. :thumbsup: I would've never known about it if it weren't for my friend forgetting to chage the mode in his camera. He was glad I got something from the experience, too. :)