Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wrong Processor Speed in My Computer/Properties

• Please log in to reply

Ste

Ste

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hi, I'm running Windows an XPpro 64bit system. I'm presuming this is a registry issue but I'm not sure what to change if it is. If I click on 'My Computer/Properties' the processor speed shows at 1.61 GHz instead of 3.4 GHz as below. Does this mean it is running at this speed or is it just the wrong figures?. Please let me know what info you need to understand the problem if the answer is not simple. Thanks.
Steve

Specs-

G.Card- 2GB XFX nVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 SLI 1GB HD Graphics Card
M.Board-Gygabyte- GA-MA-790XT-UD4P
CPU-PHENOM II X4 965 3.4GHZ BLACK ed.
Memory- 8GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz NQ Series (9-9-9-24) Dual Channel kit

Advertisements

cdwasupport

cdwasupport

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi..

I think I would go into the bios of the computer and check the settings to do with the processor speed.

You can find the manual for your mother board here... http://download.giga...90xt-ud4p_e.pdf which tells you how to get in.

Have a look and make sure that all the items are shown auto, you can also see various processor speeds there.

Simon Ward

Edited by Artellos, 20 January 2011 - 02:39 PM.
removed a link

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Motherboard Model GA-MA790XT-UD4PPCB 1.0
vendor CPU Model Frequency L2 Cache L3Cache Core Name Process Stepping Wattage System Bus(MT/s) Since BIOS Version
AMD Phenom II X4 965 3400MHz 512KBx4 6MB Deneb 45nm C3 125W 4000 F6
AMD Phenom II X4 965 3400MHz 512KBx4 6MB Deneb 45nm C2 140W 4000 F5

It is difficult to copy and paste in the columes, but I am sure you will follow it
Do you the the correct BIOS version.
ie: F6 or F5.
I am sure you are aware of the risk of flashing the BIOS. However the board has Gigabytes own Previous BIOS recovery installed.
See this
http://www.gigabyte....p.aspx?pid=3010

and this

http://www.gigabyte....x?pid=3010#bios

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 January 2011 - 10:00 AM.

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
HI, and thanks for the responses. As soon as Bios was mentioned I started thinking and checked the current version. It was an earlier one than it was supposed to be. By that I mean I had updated the Bios many months ago and therefore I had ruled it out as being the cause of the wrong info about the processor speed. I updated it to the most recent version and now the info states 3.42GHz as it should.

A few months ago I had a hard drive failure and had to start from scratch with a new one. Could something have caused the system to revert to a saved Bios?
An alternative reason may be that I mistakenly changed a setting (processor speed?) when adjusted memory clock to run my memory at 1600MHz which my memory is rated at rather than 1333MHz it was running at. I can’t actually remember.

(Sorry I am not sure what to do with the copy and paste info).

The msinfo32 now reads-
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International,Inc.F8.12Jul-2010
SMBIOS 2.4 (What is the SMBIOS)?

Thanks.
Steve.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
SMBIOS - system management bios. Basically a platform to provide the infromation regarding the system to computer management
http://www.microsoft...are/smbios.mspx

There was NOTHING for you to do with the copy and paste info, it was simply a way of telling you, that it may well have been the BIOS
If you look at the links I sent, I do not know if you have done, you will see the BIOS versions for your motherboard, with each processor, however that is for the Motherboard version Rev. 1.0 - you may have to check your particular version.

Me attempting to Guess what may have caused it,when you are not sure if you MAY have altered something in the setup, is a fruitless excercise, I would at this stage simply recommend you monitor the situation.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 January 2011 - 09:13 AM.