Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

More than my desktop is messed up!

• Please log in to reply

katnaet

katnaet

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I obviously have a virus somewhere....In my add/remove programs I have 3 things that I can't get rid of....Home search assistent, and it's spelled with an e at the end (didn't make a typo) Shopping wizard, and search extender. How do I get those outa there? I went to regedit and got rid of anything having to do with em. I had pictures on my active desktop and they wont show. I tried putting up a wallpaper, and it only shows when I start up and then goes away. I got rid of IE and tried reinstalling it, and it wont. I tried getting on netscape navigator, and it just keeps saying in the bottom left corner detecting proxy settings. I ran AVG and i dont think it's helpng cause it wont let me update. I also ran Ad aware, and I dont think its working either cause it wont let me updatei it and it's saying that i haven't done it for 200 or more days...Anyone wanna :tazz: ? Thanks!

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz: I'm kool808

First I need you to read and install the files HERE.
Follow the recommended configurations and settings for each applications.

RUN in the following order in Safe Mode:
1. Run Ad-Aware
2. Run CWShredder
3. Run Spybot S&D
4. Run CleanUp at least twice

Even the best antispyware programs are only able to remove about 70% of infections. Also, the line between spyware and trojans is getting blurred. You can never be too careful with these, I recommend at least one online scan.

Now, REBOOT in Normal Mode and have an On-line scan at this sites: Trend Micro or Panda Scan.

REBOOT.
Now make sure to close all other windows and you are NOT connected to the internet. Open HijackThis! and Scan.

Post a log HijackThis Log <username> - Please Diagnose as a new topic in the HijackThis Forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

Edited by kool808, 29 May 2005 - 03:57 AM.