Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dell inspiron 1525 display issues

• Please log in to reply

mdorsey

mdorsey

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey guys

So im basically having the same issue that this user was facing here

http://www.geekstogo...25-laptop-help/

But since id rather not revive old topics I figured maybe someone could give me some insight after removing all the components listed to try to single out the problem.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi mdorsey :D
Please list your own details regarding the issue/s with your computer, this includes what steps you personally have taken to try and resolve the issue/s, going backwards and forwards over old threads may lead to confusion with the help you are offered, it may also take longer to (hopefully) resolve and this is avoidable by providing as much info as possible.
Is the computer covered by warranty, has the computer been knocked, any sudden power outages or shut downs previously?

mdorsey

mdorsey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
There's no warranty left on my laptop. I've tried replacing the battery and the adapter neither of which had any effect. Previously to the computer acting like this I was having over heating issues so I took out the fan and cleaned it off and when I put it back in it stopped displaying anything.

The power button still turns it on and regardless of the fact if the battery is in or im using the ac adapter it starts up, lights all the touch modules at the top of the keyboard from left to right, powers down, repeats the process and then the power led stays lit and nothing else happens.

I tried switching the ram but that didn't seem to affect anything and im kinda left in a rutt here as to do next.

I appreciate any help
Thanks
Mike

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Have you tried connecting the laptop to an external screen via the laptops VGA port to see if you get a display, you may need to toggle the Fn key and one of the F1 to F12 keys (possibly F5) to do this, try this now as it is possible this may have happened whilst you did the cleaning of the fan, this would switch the screen option to external monitor.
It is also possible the video ribbon from the MB to the LCD screen became detached or damaged when you cleaned the fan, have you tried to boot without any Ram installed to test for error beeps.

mdorsey

mdorsey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried to hook it up to a monitor and pressed all the Fn+ f1-f12 keys and nothing happened and when I run it with no ram I hear no beeps

Edited by mdorsey, 19 January 2011 - 03:02 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

I tried to hook it up to a monitor and pressed all the dn+ f1-f12 keys

Do you mean Fn key as suggested, third button to the left of the space bar.

and nothing happened and when I run it with no ram I hear no beeps

This may be a MB or CPU issue then, if it was the onboard video chip with the issue you should have got error beeps with no Ram inserted, just to confirm when the laptop was functioning correctly did you get a POST beep? In case there is no onboard speaker on the MB.
After cleaning the fan before reassembly did you check that the fan was working correctly if at all, if the fan is not connected or not functioning the MB if it has a thermal sensor will shut the system down to prevent damage to the CPU and other components.

mdorsey

mdorsey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah I meant the Fn button. Yes when my laptop was functioning I did get the post beep. I noticed my fan was working but after my laptop had shut down for no apparent reason I could feel the heat from my fan area which is what caused me to take out the fan and clean it which i've done before no problem and once I assembled everything it started doing this

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
I would suggest dismantling the laptop again and powering up to check for signs of life from the fan, also be aware that if there are different types of screws involved (size and shape) and one is put in the wrong place it can cause issues such as shorting out.

mdorsey

mdorsey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
My fan does run for a brief second. It will power up with no fan life, then power down and after about 3 seconds power up again and the fan will spin for a brief second and then stop

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Im going to look for a disassembly guide for the laptop, from what you have described I can only go for the MB, shorting or a loose connection or the CPU, over heating due to a faulty fan or the CPU thermal cooling assembly needing to be replaced http://support.dell....l.htm#wp1179839

mdorsey

mdorsey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Kk ill check it out, thanks for all the help so far I appreciate it

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
No problem, just an after thought has the CPU heat pad been cleaned off and replaced with either a new heat pad or TIM (thermal interface material) such as Arctic Silver 5.

mdorsey

mdorsey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
That I have not checked out