Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows won't boot

• Please log in to reply

bluesboy2000

bluesboy2000

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
* STOP: 0X000000073 (0X00000001,0X000017D,00000004,0XF8B64BB8) Can't boot in safe mode or from cd using gateway 818GM with windows XP home edition Trying to put this hand me down computer together as a second unit. please help thanks Jim

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

What you can do is try and do a full GUI repair. For information on how to do this repair please read this topic

Thanks

bluesboy2000

bluesboy2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks wizzy2k5 I'll try that and get back to you soon. Bluesboy

bluesboy2000

bluesboy2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Followed this thread and went onto the bios to change bootup order but it already set cdrom boot. Used F12 for diagnostics tells me it could be hardware or software problem. Nothing has been changed or added that I know of. What should be my next step. Thanks Bluesboy

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
When you say "can't boot using cdrom" im guessing this has gone faulty or did it work beforehand? To get any installation complete you will need one of these so if you have a spare one or a usb one lying around then use that to do the repair. There is also another way which can be seen below. When you first boot off a cd and start the installation you can see to start a fresh installation or hit R to go into the recovery console which is what you need to do. Once inside the recovery console you will see something like this

1. C:\Windows

This tells you how many installations are presant. When you are at this point please do the following (This post was made by wannabe1 who is a tech administrator on this site)

Boot from the Windows XP installation CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console...press the R key. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

When you get to the recovery console prompt:

• Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
  • Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list
  • Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp9 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
  • Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
  • Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
  • Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".

If you cd/dvd drive is faulty then try and get a cheap 2nd one if possible. Please reply back with the cd/dvd drive information.

Thanks

Edited by wizzy2k5, 20 January 2011 - 12:24 PM.

bluesboy2000

bluesboy2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Okay I'm having a hard time following you. But I've gone ahead and tried a xp reinstall cd from my dell. That install went well and I'm waiting for final setup to complete. I'll post later to let you know where I stand. Thanks again Bluesboy

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Thanks

For reference I will try and explain the above again. When you first load the Windows XP disk you see a choice of choices

• Start a fresh installation
  • Hit R to load into the recovery console
  • F3 to quit
You will need to hit R to load into the recovery console. When into the recovery console you will see this

1. C:\WINDOWS

At that prompt you would of typed

• Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
  • Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list
  • Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp9 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
  • Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
  • Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
  • Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
There are also other choices to use such as

chkdsk /r 

Both have saved me many of times but easier ways are to use the repair install guide as in my first post or do a fresh installation as you are doing. Now since you are using the cd which came with your Dell you shouldn't have to worry about drivers (drivers are software which make the hardware work) but what I want you to do anyway when it is fully installed is

• Click Start and goto run
  • In the run box type devmgmt.msc and hit enter
  • Report any yellow marks to this post

I will now wait for your reply on this post.

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Excuse me guys but I noticed this is a Gateway system and you are using a Dell installation disk.
If this is a Recovery installation disk for the Dell you will most likely run into problems since it will load drivers for the Dell and not for the Gateway.

bluesboy2000

bluesboy2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
The install is finished but I'm having trouble with the mouse. It strolls but doesn't right or left clic

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Standard mouse or is it a specialty mouse?
Did it come with drivers?
USB or PS2?

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello bluesboy2000

I noticed that you are using a Dell Disk for a gateway machine. Things like this can happen if you are using the wrong disk. Each machine has to have its own licence key for an installation so thats breaking the EULA (end user licence agreement) so what I would like to suggest is either get a oem disk and install like that to avoid any problems :D sorry for any inconvenience.

If you are using this computer just for internet use then you can use versions of Linux which are free and easy to use. If you would like advice on them I will take it from there ;) also thank you rshaffer for pointing that out for me.

bluesboy2000

bluesboy2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Standard HP usb mouse came with unit. No drivers I won't be back on line till tomorrow

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it is just a standard 2 button USB mouse try unplugging it once windows is started and then plugging it back in to a different USB connection.
Also after that please do the following.

Please Go to

1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

I have had a look for your drivers bluesboy and I have found them here Provide the screenshot which has been requested and we can advise on drivers which you will need.

bluesboy2000

bluesboy2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi I'm back. Changed out the mouse with a known working one and and thats working fine now. I'm cleaning up after a snow storm here so I have limited time. Running between two computers and need to get a new mouse. That computer is not connected to the internet yet. This the screen shot rshaffer61 mentioned still needed and how would I post it from that computer without internet access. Thanks for all the help so far. Bluesboy