Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

frustrating download

• Please log in to reply

persistent

persistent

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I had a bad download experience and hope someone with more knowledge than myself can clear it up for me. I downloaded a program called Ophcrack that said it contained 435.8 MB. I then burned this to a DVD and my computer said successful burn and content 189KB. I noticed that my disc had far less content at 189KB than the downloaded Ophcrack file which is 435.8 MB. When you burn a DVD I presume that it is sopposed to contain the same amount of info as the original file that I downloaded, in this case 435.8 MB. The burned DVD did not work at all. Then to make matters worse a new tool bar or address bar was installed on my screen without my permission. Is this what they call malware? The free site I used had 4-5 download buttons displayed in a very confusing way (probably by design) so I would download something that would benifit them and leave me confused and frustrated. The second attempt To download the Ophcrack file went good up until 75% completion and then it slowed to a crawl and stalled out and would not advance so I aborted this attempt. I have a newer computer with a lot of hard drive space unused and wondered why this 2nd attempt failed? I would be happy to hear some opinions on this. Thanks a bunch.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Windows Password cracker seems like where you downloaded it from may have infected your system.
I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

persistent

persistent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Windows Password cracker seems like where you downloaded it from may have infected your system.
I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Thanks so much for your reply. Could you answer the question I had about If the file I downloaded contained 435 MB and I burned a DVD from that file shouldn't the DVD contain the same exact amount of Infomation in this case 435MB.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A faulty download maybe or a doinked burn.
Being that you downloaded from a questionable site probably it may be a hidden infection which could be the reason for the difference in size.
At this point I am leaning more toward a bad burn.

persistent

persistent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks again,I am starting to understand what is going on behind the scene a little more.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Where did you get that ISO ?
ophcrack's home is here. The ISO there should be clean.
Try using another burning program. And the ISO won't need a DVD; just a CD should do the trick.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
devper94 please be aware that geeks to go don't support password cracking programs nor link to any possible programs. They only provide links from Microsoft them-selves. I would advise you to read the post below.

http://www.geekstogo...ost__p__1957867

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 21 January 2011 - 09:57 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Since the original poster was specifically looking for this link, I'm going to leave it. But in general we do not offer any assistance with password cracking. In an online environment it's just impossible to verify identity.

persistent

persistent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for your reply I really appreciate your help. I downloaded the file from sourceforge.net and after checking the internet and siteadvisor.com I have found other people that have had the same problems that I have encountered from the same site.

persistent

persistent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the help. Just a quick explanation, I am new to this forum and consider myself a quality person who obeys the rules and I try to do the right thing. I have no desire to get into someones computer. The reason I went to download ophcrack was due to my sisters problem. Her husband, who is 65+ yrs. old fell and hit the back of his head in June of 2010 and sustained a brain injury he has had two brain surgerys and is in a care facility and may be there permantly. My sister never had a interest in the computer even though her husband wanted to teach her how to use it. The husband can not remember the password and that is where the problem started. My sister has been paying for this Net Zero account since June of 2010 and does not use it at all. I told her it is silly to pay for it if she is not going to use it. She has been lonely and depressed and I thought it would be a good idea for her to learn how to use the computer as it might take her mind off of things. After researching different ways I thought ophcrack was the best because it would not cost her anything,as she is on social security. Best Buy said they would find the password for $40 and then there was another program called Password Recovery 5.0 and it is only $9.95. Has anyone heard of Password recovery and does it work and is it safe to download? Password Recovery 5.0 seems like a simple fix. Thanks for any advice

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
there are ways to recover password... some of them are free. i am not supposed to post their names here, but google will help you. another choice is to reinstall windows and start again from scratch.

persistent

persistent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks my friend