Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

icm file not associated with right program

• Please log in to reply

yellow rose

yellow rose

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a icc profile I want to install for my printer and software. I have downloaded it. The problem is that when I go to install it, it is associated with adobe, and will not install. I know that it is not suppose to be associated with this program, it should be associated with an microsoft color control panel or another .icm program. So when I tried to change to another program I cannot find one that is listed that I can use.
I went to default programs, then associate a file type or protocol with a specific program, I found the .icm extention and it has the default program Adobe. So how do I locate the program it should be associated with?
Thank you
yellow rose

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't.

This should be of interest for where the files are supposed to go.
http://www.drycreekp...ile_install.htm

yellow rose

yellow rose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
isn't here a way to change it when you right click it and change to whatever it is suppose to be. (open with)?
There has to be a way to correct it.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

isn't here a way to change it when you right click it and change to whatever it is suppose to be. (open with)?
There has to be a way to correct it.

Like I say, you don't. You don't open ICM files with anything. Providing they live in the right place, they'll be available to any program that needs them.

From the link I posted:

ICC profiles are binary files, and are opened automatically by Photoshop [or any other image editing program], the operating system, printer drivers, and similar files. Profiles need to be installed in the correct location on your computer for them to be available to image editing and other applications.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Try this:

• Using your mouse, highlight everything in the following Code box and then press [Ctrl-C] to copy what's highlighted into the memory of your computer:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.icm]
    @="icmfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.icm\PersistentHandler]
    @="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"
  • Open Notepad on your computer, press [Ctrl-V] to paste what you copied above into the Notepad window, then click File > Save and save it on your Desktop as "w7_icm.reg" (without the quotes).
  • Right-click the "w7_icm.reg" on your Desktop, select Merge, click Yes, Yes again, then OK.
  • Reboot.