Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window XP Repeatedly Restarts Unsucessfully

• Please log in to reply

CarolK9

CarolK9

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Windows XP. Operating fine until following message on black screen appears:

"Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software download may have caused this.

If the computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect files or folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration.

If a previous start attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because power reset button was pressed, or if you're not sure what caused the problem, choose restart normal.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Configuration

System will restart in ___ seconds."

I have tried all options offered. I have tried force shutdown and then reboot. Each time (except the safe mode options), it appears as though Windows is resarting, Windows logo appears, then within a few seconds "power savor" sign, then dark, then brings me back to the above message. When I tried all safe mode options, it presents a "list", then goes into the repeated startup.

I followed the repair installation instructions found elsewhere in these forums and am now stuck because I only have a Windows XP Upgrade CD and the system is now requesting a "valid Windows CD". Should I go buy the full version of 7? Will this method keep me from losing my data??

Suggestions, please.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Is this a branded computer if so please post the make and model.
If it is branded I need the full model - not just for example Dell Inspiron.
If there is a service tag no please provide that.
Is that a Microsoft XP upgrade CD, as was originally sold to upgrade an installation of Windows 98 to XP.

If this is a branded computer it very likely came with a RECOVERY CD - please check if you have that.

When you post back depending on what you tell me, we may be able to assist by providing you with the means to make a Recovery Console CD and whilst this will not repair the Windows installation as would a full XP CD, it should enable you to run some tests.

Have you installed any new hardware or programs AND HAVE YOU USED A REGISTRY cleaning program - PLEASE DO NOT DO SO. They are frequently the cause of problems such as this.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Should I go buy the full version of 7? Will this method keep me from losing my data??

I see Macboatmaster is helping you with your request but I would like to answer the question above. If you go and buy a retail version of Windows 7 you can install without losing data as it backs it up prior to installing and you will need to select custom installation. When installed it will move all your data to c:\windows.old

In the world of computers things can happen when we don't expect them to so if you can somehow back the data up manually then please do so. You can either do this by attaching the hard drive to another computer or get someone to back it up for you however I will leave this option to you.

Reply with the information that Macboatmaster has requested and he will take it from there :D

Regards

CarolK9

CarolK9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It is a HP Pavilion Media Center TV PC. Model # ER883AA-ABA. Model Name: m7470n

It IS an upgrade XP CD

No recovery CD with original stuff

To my knowledge nothing cleaned the registry. The computer was working fine when I left the house and this was happening when I returned.

Before I contacted you, I ran Basic Tests on the Recovery Console (I did not Recover) all tests passed.

I back up every month and did so a week ago to an external hard drive. I'm trying to avoid re-loading all my programs and transferring data plus there's about a week's worth of work I would like to retrieve.

Basically-I want my old computer to magically reappear!! Thanks for your help! I'm willing to buy the upgrade if that will do it!!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
http://h10025.www1.h...=1843651&dlc=en

The link is to your computer on the HP site.
If you look at the spec, to the right of that is the user manual. On the specification you will see repair wizard.
If this is still installed on that computer I suggest you have a look at the manual and work through that procedure first.
CAUTION One of the options may well be RECOVERY - be careful to read carefully , you may if you instigate the wrong procedure end up with formatting and reinstalling to the original condition. In otherwords everything would be lost and back to HOW IT WAS WHEN sold.

Additionally you must satisfy yourself that this computer will run Windows 7. You would be alright from the point of view of processor speed and the computer can take sufficient ram. The problem may be driver issues for 7 on some of the hardware.

If you get it back to working, the most simple test is to Microsoft site and run the Windows 7 ready test.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 January 2011 - 02:51 PM.