Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is there a way to log internet communication errors?

• Please log in to reply

Tubes62

Tubes62

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My small company's website resides on a server at a provider 1500 miles away. They were chosen, since they specialize in dotnukenet architecture. However, when we migrated there two years ago, they had to create a special secure module to to collect our orders from the web. Up until this week, I would log on as the administater, go to the page listing new orders, and click "get details" to see the order contents. Clicking "get details" runs a special java script that calls up the contents.

I use a Macintosh running OS 10.5.8 and using the most recent Firefox browser. I have two office computers hard-wired to a router, hard-wired to a DSL modem.

Now, when I click on the java link from my office , I get a "timeout" error (the actual error message was custom written by the provider). Funny thing is, when I log into my website from anywhere BUT my office, I am able to access all of the info. I was able to log in from my home, in-laws, and friend's house. My provider told me it was probably something on my office computers. They suggested I must have uploaded some new software or browser plug-in or something. None of this applied to me., but I've tried:

Rebooted office computers , routers, and DSL modem - no help
Made sure the firewall was turned off, and connected a computer straight into the DSL modem (bypassing the router's firewall) - no help
Brought my computer from home (which can access the webite from home) - gets the same runtime error from my office.

So, I can only think of a couple of possibilities. The only hardware I cannot eliminate (yet) on my end is the DSL modem. However, I must say I have no other problems surfing the web. Otherwise, maybe the server my website resides on somehow no longer likes MY IP address?

Is there any way to log the data transfer to figure out where the error lies?

Advertisements