Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU upgrade query

• Please log in to reply

DaveyC

DaveyC

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

I have 2 computers at home, one good and one old. The old one, however, is the only one which works with my remote access to my workplace, so I have to keep it. It doesn't perform very well as I bought it for word processing t university, but over the years I have made a few upgrades to it to keep it useful (Ram, GPU). I decided that what it really needed was for me to replace the old Sempron 2200 processor as the real weak link of the computer, so bought an Athlon XP 3000+ from ebay, as after consulting the motherboard manual, this was the highest rated processor supported.

http://europe.asrock.../K7S8X R3.0.pdf

System set up is this:
ASROCK K7S8X 3.0 motherboard
Athlon XP 3000+
2x 512MB PC3200 DDR400 RAM

The new processor is showing as Athlon XP 2200+ at 1.75GHz in system properties, Belarc, Everest and CPUz. I don't really understand overclocking, and couldn't identify what wasn't right in the BIOS.

My question is how I can get the new processor to work as advertised at 2.1GHz?

Incidentally, I have verified hat the cpu is indeed what I was sold!

Help much appreciated.

David

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You need to go into your BIOS under ADVANCED and change manually the CPU host frequency, by default yours is probably set to your previous CPU frequency, change it only one level at a time (if default was 100mhz go to the next 133mhz and so on) save your settings and use your computer for a little while (couple of days) to see if it performs normally do that until you reach the desired CPU speed (2.1GHZ).

CPU Host Frequency:

[By Jumper]: It is recommended to select this option, which will let the CPU
host frequency of this motherboard determined by the jumper-setting.

[Manual]: This allows user to set CPU host frequency manually. However,
this is not recommended unless user thoroughly knows the feature.
Wrong setup may cause problems during operation.

Hope that helps.

DaveyC

DaveyC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks Alzeimer, I actually figured that out for myself and have it working properly now!