Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell OEM XP Pro CD

• Please log in to reply

kwon34

kwon34

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hey guys, I used a dell oem cd for an hp computer and it install XP pro but keeps asking to activate XP (online or phone) is there a fix for this or do I have to reinstall XP Pro SP2 using a HP OEM?

Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I used a dell oem cd for an hp computer and it install XP pro

It actually booted up and works with no issues? Since it is for a dell I'm really surprised any drivers were loaded at all. I'm even more surprised it even booted seeing the motherboard drivers would be different.

but keeps asking to activate XP (online or phone)

Yep this would be expected even if you had used the correct version since all versions have to be activated and since the registration key on the HP won't work on a Dell installation you will run into this issue.

is there a fix for this or do I have to reinstall XP Pro SP2 using a HP OEM?

There is no fix other then activation. The biggest issue at this point is you have a illegal installation of the OS since you have installed a OS that was meant for one brand on another brand. You need to purchase a legal copy of the recovery cd's for the HP or a OEM copy of XP Pro with it's own activation key.
FYI with branded systems the OS is married to the original system and components and cannot be installed on any other system.