Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unmountable_Boot_Volume on a vista OS

• Please log in to reply

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Hey everybody, I've got a laptop here that all I get is the BSOD with Unmountable_Boot_Volume message. I don't know what happened when this message was first seen because I didn't have the machine then. I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of and lots of suggestions from the internet and nothing is working. It doesn't matter what I do, I always end up with the blue or black screen of death. I can't boot off ANY disk and I can't get a command prompt. If you try the start Windows normally, it just hangs up on the Microsoft progress screen forever. I think the BIOS can't find the hard drive so it just hangs up at that point and that why I'm thinking the hard drive is dead and needs replacing. If anybody has any other ideas or suggestions please let me know. Also I have tried to run the diagnostic tool for the hard drive from a bootable disk and it just hangs and will not load.

Advertisements

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Bump!