Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flash Drive Disinfector does not run - nothing happens

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
Thanks for the info. I want to backtrack a moment. I downloaded and installed Spywareguard, but it won't run under either account - WAYNE or HP Administrator. I click on it and nothing happens. I also tried right click and Open.

With all of the scanners you recommended, should I always run the full scan vs the quick scan?

Advertisements

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts

Thanks for the info. I want to backtrack a moment. I downloaded and installed Spywareguard, but it won't run under either account - WAYNE or HP Administrator. I click on it and nothing happens. I also tried right click and Open.

Did you restart your computer after installing it?

With all of the scanners you recommended, should I always run the full scan vs the quick scan?

It depends what tool you use. In most cases quick scan is enough. But full scan once per month or so is also recommended.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
Spywareguard - Did you restart your computer after installing it? ...Yes.

Question about Spywareblaster- Should I "enable protection" for:
Internet Explorer
Restricted Sites
Mozilla Firefox

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Hi, wayneman50

Regarding Spywareguard:
  • Click on Start button and in Search programs and files text box type taskmgr and press Enter key on your keyboard.
  • Windows Task Manager will open.
  • Click on Processes tab and look for process with Image Name sgbhp.exe.
Is it there?

Also if you click on arrow button to show your hidden icons on the right side of your Taskbar you should see red SG like on image below. Can you see it?

Posted Image

Question about Spywareblaster- Should I "enable protection" for:
Internet Explorer
Restricted Sites
Mozilla Firefox

Yes for all three.

EDIT: typo

Edited by Render, 01 March 2011 - 11:45 AM.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
Question:
I can only run Superantispyware on my Administrator account. And I've been trying Spywareguard on that account as well as my personal account. At a glance, I notice that my Administrator account does not have several desktop icons that my personal account has and does not have any of my settings/favorites for Firefox. Do I have any other choice for running Super other than switching over to Administrator? It would be nice if I could have everything on one account.

Yes, under Task Manager, I see sgbhp.exe *32. BTW, I also see AmazonGSDownloaderTray.exe in there. I recently downloaded this to purchase a download from Amazon. Why the heck is this running?! I can end the process, right?

I clicked on the tray arrow and saw SG. I clicked on it and the program started. I clicked on one of the icons and got an error message which quickly disappeared. When I went back to the tray, the SG was gone. sgbhp.exe is still in the Task Manager.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
I just enabled Spywareblaster. So it looks like there is no scan to run, it just protects me real time from the various items it lists under each category?

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts

At a glance, I notice that my Administrator account does not have several desktop icons that my personal account has and does not have any of my settings/favorites for Firefox.

Yes. This is normal. Every user can have different desktop appearance and settings including shortcuts.

If you have created two accounts – one with administrator privileges and one as standard user – you have to decide which account you will be use.

I recommend you to use standard user account and when you want to install or uninstall some programs just provide password for administrations rights.

I can only run Superantispyware on my Administrator account.

Obviously, you installed SAS that way. Let's take a look at the image bellow. As you can see during install there are two options: Anyone who uses this computer and Only for me. So if you want to run that application in all user accounts you have to choose first option.

Posted Image

Do I have any other choice for running Super other than switching over to Administrator? It would be nice if I could have everything on one account.

Un-install SAS and install it with appropriate option. In your case this is – Anyone who uses this computer.

Yes, under Task Manager, I see sgbhp.exe *32. I clicked on the tray arrow and saw SG. I clicked on it and the program started. I clicked on one of the icons and got an error message which quickly disappeared. When I went back to the tray, the SG was gone. sgbhp.exe is still in the Task Manager.

Thats good. Then Spywareguard is running. You don't have to run it manually as it starts automatically. Also you don't have to update it. SG is not a scanner. SpywareGuard is a browser hijack prevention program, which depends partly on signatures and on a behavior detection engine. The latter is actually its strength, especially since the tool's database hasn't been updated in some time. All SpywareGuard has to do is stop any form of registry hijack. It doesn't need to remove anything. This means it doesn't need to be updated.

BTW, I also see AmazonGSDownloaderTray.exe in there. I recently downloaded this to purchase a download from Amazon. Why the heck is this running?! I can end the process, right?

On first question you already answered by yourself.:D
This is a valid entry, but is classified as 'not required'. It is located here: \%Program Files%\amazon\amazon games & software downloader\
Typically, these entries are infrequently used tasks that can be started manually, if necessary. But yes. You can safely end this process.

I just enabled Spywareblaster. So it looks like there is no scan to run, it just protects me real time from the various items it lists under each category?

SpywareBlaster blocks sites that can cause malware to be uploaded onto your computer. Also like Spywareguard has nothing to do with scanning or removing infection.

Spywareguard and SpywareBlaster are preventing programs. And this is the win-win situation as preventing is much better as curing.

Edited by Render, 01 March 2011 - 02:42 PM.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
I think I am still having problems with getting Windows Updates automatically. Right now, it shows 1 important update available, published 2/22/11: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x-64 based systems (KB976932). Most recent check for updates: today (3/3/11) at 5:58 am.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
I started the scan from the Secunia site you recommended. I haven't installed Java because of work you said I need to do to keep up to date with the latest software, and I don't seem to need it. Do I need to install it to run this scan?

Attached Files

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Hi, wayneman50

I think I am still having problems with getting Windows Updates automatically. Right now, it shows 1 important update available, published 2/22/11: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x-64 based systems (KB976932). Most recent check for updates: today (3/3/11) at 5:58 am.

It's nothing wrong with that. When you have time (you don't need to work with the PC) install it manually. SP is not critical update. And there are quite a lot reports of unsuccessful SP1's installations.

Do I need to install it to run this scan?

Yes. And there are quite a lot websites nowadays which requires Java for full functionality.

Advertisements

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.