Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advanced IP issues (WAN ip)

• Please log in to reply

BackForMore

BackForMore

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi first off I would like to say I have been trying to fix this problem for some time now and while I am a quick learner I know very little on the topic. I have called my internet provider and they told me that my ip was dynamic, i have checked my network options and my ip is set to obtain automatically, but when I check my ip on "whatismyip" it gives me the same ip for years, and I mean 4 or 5 years straight, everytime i try to solve the issue everyone thinks I am just stupid, but I have tried the simple things and that is not the problem several years ago I went on to a website and set my pc up for hosting, it is there I believe I somehow set my computer to a static ip, I have been being attacked by ddos over xbox live for some time now, my entire net goes off everytime and they get a great laugh out of it, they dont even have to sniff out my ip because it never changes. if someone has any information on how I could set my ip back to a dynamic through some script or program I would greatly appreciate it. please don't ignore this post I really need help.. no one seams to have the awnser

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
If your ISP claims you have a dynamic IP, I am pretty sure it is a dynamic IP. You cannot change your WAN (Wide Area Network, AKA Internet) IP to a Static address because that is something that your ISP provides. If you claim to being attacked by DDoS attacks, you should first of all mention this to your ISP. Secondly, your dynamic address will only change if your modem goes offline for a longer period of time (Depending on the settings of the ISP).

If you wish to change your WAN Address you will have to contact your ISP, or turn off your modem for a longer period of time and hope your address will change. But even turning off the modem doesn't guarantee a change in address.

Regards,
Olrik

BackForMore

BackForMore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the quick reply, I have called my internet provider and they have told me and confirmed that I am set as a dynamic ip. The first thing that was tried was they shut my modem off and I unplugged both my router and my cable box following the instructions I was given exactly, when I connected back to the internet my ip had not changed at that point they forced my ip and I was assigned a new ip, I was told that my ip should change now that was several months ago, and my ip is number for number exactly the same.. but I went onto a website a long time ago i believe it was "portforward.com" and I set my pc up to host.. hosting requires a static ip.. I have changed my ip to static through this website and I dont understand what exactly it did.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello BackForMore,

There is no chance that your internet address is static. You (the user) cannot change your internet address at all. What portforward.com does it set a static address on your local network.

The best defense against these DDoS attacks you are having is notify your provider that you are having issues and they should be able to fix this issue for you.

Regards,
Olrik