Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM

• Please log in to reply

babyfaceassassin

babyfaceassassin

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
i got emachine EL1850 and it has two memory slot. i want to add another 2GB of ram to my another slot. never added a ram before so i want to ask you guys on what should i know before buying 1. i know that my memory is pc3 - 10700 but is that all that i need to know??? should i also have the same latency or voltage??? thanks in advance

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

babyfaceassassin

babyfaceassassin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
rshaffer thanks for the reply. i know about crucial scanner but i cant use it now. it always hangs. maybe becoz im using mobile broadband. i just really need to know if latency, volts and timings of ram is important as well??? should i get the same 1 that i currently have?? im just curious becoz i check one of the website selling ram and they put the ram specs which includes timings voltages and latency. if i get pc3-10600 but the volts latency and timings are not the same would there be a conflict and will not work??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Though in a perfect world yes it would be nice to have everything match it seldom happens.
I'm guessing what you are describing is
DDR3
PC3 10600 memory?

Putting the system into crucial's site I find the maximum amount of memory your system can have is 4 gigs total using two slots with 2 gigs max in each.

Each memory slot can hold DDR3 PC3-10600 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.*

The specs I find that match your system all have the below in them

DDR3 PC3-10600 • CL=9 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1333 • 1.5V

Specific memory as you have mentioned for a 2 gig memory module is below. As long as your additional memory has these specs you should be fine.

# Module Size: 2GB
# Package: 240-pin DIMM
# Feature: DDR3 PC3-10600
# Specs: DDR3 PC3-10600 • CL=9 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1333 • 1.5V • 256Meg x 64 •

babyfaceassassin

babyfaceassassin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
i understand all the specs but what is 256 meg x 64???

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The 256 is the amount each of the chips on the module are in capacity. 4 chips on each side is 1 gig on each side. Double sided memory would make it 2 gigs total on the module.
64 I believe means it is 64 bit compatible memory.

babyfaceassassin

babyfaceassassin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
thanks a lot!!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and I hope I have been of some assistance for you with your questions.