Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help Selecting a TV as a Monitor

• Please log in to reply

georgetok

georgetok

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi,

I read that many people nowadays are using TV as a Monitor.

In my stock market chart applications, I need to have 10 to 12 charts open at any given moment. Most Stock Traders achieve this using 6 to 12 monitors. ( I have seen photos of 8 to 12 Monitors used by some traders ). For me this is not possible because I can’t find a video card that will do this where I live. And I can’t afford 10 Monitors.
So the other solution is to use Very Large 46 inch Flat TV.

If anybody is using TV as a monitor, I need all the help I can get. What should I be looking for in a TV. We have Samsung & LG & Philips Brands available. Sony might be but too expensive for me.

Few Samsung models I looked at had following.

1. Full HD
2. Clear Motion Rate was either 100 OR 400. I don’t know what that means.
3. Dynamic Contrast 4 Million to1 and 5 Million to 1.
4. Some Internet Ready & others not.
5. LCD or LED

What does Clear Motion Rate Mean ? How important is contrast Ratio ? Is LED better than LCD ? LG or Samsung or Philips ?

What else should I be looking for ?

Any explanation & suggestions would really help.

Thank You.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Something else to consider. Most graphics cards support 2 monitors. Monitors typically support higher resolutions than TVs for finer detail up close. Two 22" or 24" inch monitors may suit your needs better than one big TV. If you are not planning on watching TV, then the tuner circuits in a TV are a waste of money.