Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell xps420 PSU upgrade

• Please log in to reply

m8dman

m8dman

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I'm in the process of upgrading my dell xps420 and I was wondering if this psu will fit my case? Dell claims that most ATX style psu's will fit the case.

My link

My upgrade build so far.

8gigs of A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model AD2U800B2G5-DRH Ram

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Nvidia GTX460

Samsung F3 1TB HDD

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I was poking around and see that some people were complaining that the OEM XPS 420 power supply was slightly taller than a normal power supply. I didn't read that anyone was unable to fit the power supply in the case correctly, only that you may end up with a small gap at the top or bottom of the power supply. I guess the hole in the back is slightly larger than a normal ATX case.

Personally, I prefer Corsair Power Supplies over everything else on the market. This one looks to have 2 additional peripheral connections and 2 more SATA connections than the one you are looking at currently. It also carries a 5 year warranty as opposed to the 3 year warranty offered with the Antec, for only $10 more after rebate.

One thing I would check is the way the holes line up on the power supply. If you look at this picture, you will see where 3 of the holes are symmetrical and the 4th is offset from the others. Just verify that it will fit properly in the case with the fan pointing down. You don't want to buy it and find out that it fits with the fan jammed against the top of the case. I suspect it will be fine, but just double check to be sure.

Let us know how you make out!

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 21 January 2011 - 07:50 AM.

m8dman

m8dman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Well I was looking at a few images of the 420's PSU and it seems that the holes match up.

Heres what my current PSU look's like My link

So the Antec should fit right? That Corsair looks nice but it's out of my price range.

Sadly I'm on a budget. :D

Edited by m8dman, 21 January 2011 - 08:51 AM.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
That's exactly the same picture I was looking at earlier. The Antec should fit just fine, except for a possible small gap around the bottom or top, but that won't hurt anything. Just check to make sure the fan will be facing down and you should be good to go.

m8dman

m8dman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Thanks man :D Man its been a pain finding the right parts for my dell. But it's been worth it since It will extend my PC's life by a few more years.

I learned my lesson about premade pc's. Next time I will just build my own.

Edited by m8dman, 21 January 2011 - 04:18 PM.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
No problem. Glad I could help!

It used to be even worse with the Dell's, but they have since gotten a little better. I would always recommend that someone build their own. It's a little more work, but the great thing is that you get the individual component warranty as opposed to a blanket system warranty.

With a Dell, even if the machine runs a Western Digital HDD that normally has a 5 year warranty, because the drive is OEM from Dell, you only get the standard 1 year. With a built machine, each component has it's own warranty. So you can normally get 5 years out of the power supply, hard drive and a lifetime out of the RAM.