Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SSD Questions

• Please log in to reply

Sublimistri

Sublimistri

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Right now I have a 500gb 7200 rpm samsung HD and I am upgrading to a 120GB Sniper G Skill SSD.

I am wanting to know if it would be better to use my SSD alone, or to have both drives running together?

If its better to have both together, how do I install the SSD as the main one and have the other one for storage?

If I run two hard drives, one ssd one normal, would I have to buy two copys of windows 7 to run both or will they both function with the same serial key in the same computer?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I am wanting to know if it would be better to use my SSD alone, or to have both drives running together?

You posted no model for the samsung but I am going to say it is a SATA drive also.
That being said they run on different channels so the issue of running together is nullified. :D

If its better to have both together, how do I install the SSD as the main one and have the other one for storage?

See above. They can't be on the same channel as SATA uses a different channel for each drive.
Which ever one you want as the OS drive really should be on the first channel or the zero channel. ;)

If I run two hard drives, one ssd one normal, would I have to buy two copys of windows 7 to run both or will they both function with the same serial key in the same computer?

Nope again the one you want as OS is the only one that has to have the OS installed. The OS identifies the other and after partitioning and format it will be able to be sued for data or whatever you want from there. ;)

Sublimistri

Sublimistri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
So this means I run one or the other?

If I wanted to sell the old hard drive what steps should I take?

It's a normal sata hard drive.

I got an SSd to see if it would help in gaming since my hd right now is rated a 5.9.

Edited by Sublimistri, 21 January 2011 - 10:12 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

So this means I run one or the other?

Why does your motherboard only have one SATA port on it?
What motherboard do you have and I can check the specs on it but it would be very strange if it only had one sata port.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it is the ASUS M4A78L-M 760G AM3 I saw you mention in another topic then it has 6 SATA ports. More then enough to handle the 2 hd's you have.

Sublimistri

Sublimistri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
it has the sata ports for it.

The mobo is a msi 770-g45.

Just bought three upgrades, the Thuban 1100t, a HD 6850, and this sniper g.skill 120gb SSD none are here yet.

I'm not sure if I should run the drive alone or with both, whichever would run fastest is what I want, or if I can even run both.

If it is fastest to run the sniper by itself, then I'd like to know what I need to do before selling a hard drive? Reinstall windows/delete everything that way? Would it arrive working for them if I did that?

Edited by Sublimistri, 21 January 2011 - 10:45 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then I see no reason to not be able to have the 2 hard drives in it.
The only one that has the OS according to your analogy will be the SSD drive. The other will be the data drive only.

Sublimistri

Sublimistri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
So do I just unplug my current one, do a fresh install of windows 7 on the new SSD, then replug in the old one and they both work? I don't think it's that simple though, I haven't got to see the instructions yet though.

And do the games have to be installed on the ssd to run faster on it or can it be stored on the other drive and run off the ssd?

Edited by Sublimistri, 21 January 2011 - 11:58 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The old drive will have to be formatted so yes all the games will need to be reinstalled to work correctly then.
You can install them to the second drive because the entries in the registry will then point to the second drive.
The games do not have to be installed on the SSD unless you want to put them there.
I have 3 hd's in my system right now. Main one has 3 partitions on it running XP 64bit, Win 7 Pro 64 bit and the last with Linux Mandriva 64 bit.
All my data is normally saved to one of the other drives to save the room on the OS partitions.