Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Random black screens, desesperate for some help :)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,017 posts
Fujitsu I/O plate showing VGA/monitor port and a protective dust cap for the VGA port;

Advertisements

Celidya

Celidya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
So, here are some pics. I tried to take them from different angles to show the back of the computer, the inside (though it's hard to see much) and the nvidia card just in case. So as you can guess the thing i'm struggling with is the black plastic cover in the middle of the back. As you can see the screws are very small and round, i just don't have any tool fitting for that. So unless i could somehow "cut" the plastic from the cover to remove it without damaging the VGA port (there should be enough empty space between the port itself and the screws) i can't see how i'm supposed to remove that thing.

Attached Thumbnails

• pc_back.jpg
  • pc_back2.jpg
  • pc_inside.jpg
  • pc_nvidia1.jpg
  • pc_nvidia2.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,017 posts
Before you remove anything it is advisable to make certain that your MB does actually have a VGA port.
Image No 3 shows what looks like a blank, these are fitted where there is no onboard VGA port in order to keep dust out and what you can see are rivets and not screws.
I have attached a picture of a MB showing 1: A CMOS battery which is the type that is on its edge and 2: The blue VGA port on the MB, if you cannot see the same at the back of your MB inside the case then there is no onboard VGA, if this is the case the Nvidea card may have failed.
Can you please try installing the Nvidea card drivers again but this time try it the following way;
1: Download and save the Nvidea card drivers.
2: Uninstall the ATI card drivers.
3: Install the Nvidea card drivers.
4: Shut down the computer.
5: Remove the ATI card and fit the Nvidea card.
6: Re-boot the computer.

Celidya

Celidya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
The Nvidia drivers give me an error message about not detecting any compatible graphic card when i try to install them while the ATI is still on. :D

I looked inside, the mysterious "port" seems linked to a blue and flat rectangle with nothing written on it, on the motherboard. That blue thing is about as long as the port itself, a bit less than 1cm wide and same height roughly. I'm not sure if it's a component or not, it seemed a bit "simple" in its form, just a basic rectangle.

Edited by Celidya, 29 January 2011 - 08:30 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,017 posts

The Nvidia drivers give me an error message about not detecting any compatible graphic card when i try to install them while the ATI is still on.

I thought it might do this but it was worth a try as following the correct procedure did not work, now that you have the Nvidea drivers saved try refitting the Nvidea card, if you have a DVD burner and a blank disk available copy the drivers to that.

I looked inside, the mysterious "port" seems linked to a blue and flat rectangle with nothing written on

Can you see any electrical circuits on it, they will look like flat silver lines.
Any luck in locating the CMOS battery?

Celidya

Celidya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I don't have a DVD burner. For the CMOS battery, it seems to be located under the graphic card, it looks like the one you described in an earlier post. However, it's quite small, i'm not 100% confident i could remove it and fit it back safely, never tried that. I'm always worried with the little things to clip, as it's not always obvious which way i should push it and it might break if i push the wrong side thinking it's stuck.

I couldn't spot any electrical circuit on the blue thing, it's just flat blue with nothing on it.

I can try refitting the Nvidia card by tomorrow, can't do some tinkering with the computer right now. ^^

Edited by Celidya, 29 January 2011 - 09:10 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,017 posts
Removing the CMOS battery is not difficult, it will have a clip that you press allowing the battery to pop up just enough for you to pick it up, one of the Techs (Troy if I remember correctly) places a sock on his hand to avoid touching the contacts on the battery, replace it after a couple of minutes by simply pressing it gently back in, you can then reset the time and date.

I couldn't spot any electrical circuit on the blue thing, it's just flat blue with nothing on it.

I cannot see it so I cannot say 100% that there is no onboard VGA but your description suggests that there is not.
I will look out for your update tomorrow.

Celidya

Celidya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Could you list step by step in which order i need to do the things, please ? I'm not sure if i have to do the battery manipulation before i put the Nvidia card in, after, or while there is no graphic card at all on the computer. :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,017 posts
1: Uninstall ATI drivers and anything else to do with ATI, go to Add/Remove programmes in the Control panel to do this
2: Shut down the computer and remove the power cord from the wall socket
3: Remove the ATI card
4: Remove the CMOS battery for a few moments and then replace it
5: Fit the Nvidea card securely (make sure it is pushed in all the way)
6: After reassembling the computer reboot it.

Celidya

Celidya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Sorry for the late update, i thought i'd try several times to be sure so i tried on sunday and today.

I did as planned but, just no way i can remove the CMOS battery :D I can push the little thing on it so it should be "free" or almost but then, i just can't grab it out of the slot. Seems like it's quite well stuck there, and it's located in such a place i have hardly any grasp on it. I can barely put one of my fingers in there to push for a little while but that's it. I even tried with a piece of little paper to try to help getting it out of the slot but no way. And i fear if i push too hard something will break so, i can't seem to get that battery out in a decent way. ;)

Is there anything else to try on the Bios or something to reset it ?

Edited by Celidya, 31 January 2011 - 06:46 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,017 posts
You could try the default settings that are available in the BIOS and then follow steps 1,2,3,5 and 6 of my last post.

armansu

armansu

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I have similar problem. But I have laptop dell inspiron 1520. My guess is that I overheated my video card. I hope someone cold give me advise what would be best action to do.

I've Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS

windows vista.

with full Nvidia drivers I can't watch movies. But by removing main files: nvd3dum and nvwgh2um I can watch movies and play games that uses VGA. I can use windows normally just when I use internet explorer and when I with mouse fast forward big document from top to bottom or opposite I get black screen and white, yellow, green, blue dot box in place of mouse cursor. PC freezes and I have to use hard reboot.

Reinstalling windows/drivers doesn't help.

It's most likely that 3D acceleration doesn't work (broke).

I would like to know is it software or hardware issue?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,017 posts
Hi armansu :D
Please start your own topic, whilst your issue/s may appear similar the cause and remedy may not be the same and by hijacking this topic the advice may become confused and or conflicting.
You may find that a Tech or Moderator will move or remove the above post, thank you for your understanding.

armansu

armansu

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi armansu :D
Please start your own topic, whilst your issue/s may appear similar the cause and remedy may not be the same and by hijacking this topic the advice may become confused and or conflicting.
You may find that a Tech or Moderator will move or remove the above post, thank you for your understanding.

Sorry didn't know thought. I started new topic.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,017 posts
@ armansu, if you look to the top right hand corner of the page you will see a Start New Topic dialogue box, just click on it and you are sorted :D