Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update

• Please log in to reply

juniorvarsity17

juniorvarsity17

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Was downloading the new internet explorer and it said I needed to do some Windows Updates. When the updates were done I chose to restart my computer and when it rebooted the only thing that came up was my background. There are no icons, I do get a cursor for my mouse but there are no icons or start button. How can I fix this?

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello it seems that an update may of gone wrong so I would like you to do a system restore.

To do a system restore please navigate to the application which can be found below.

Start - All Programs - Acccessories - System Tools - System Restore

Go back 2 days and restart to see if this fixes your issue if not please do a repair installation. Details on how to do a repair installation can be found here

Please report back if you have any issues.

Regards

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Hmmm ... how are they supposed to click on Start when "there are no icons or start button"? :D

--

juniorvarsity17, do you get a Start button when starting up in Safe mode?

juniorvarsity17

juniorvarsity17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I got it worked out. It switched my main monitor to my alt and I didn't have it on. Feel a little stupid but glad I figured it out.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Hmmm ... how are they supposed to click on Start when "there are no icons or start button"? :D

--

juniorvarsity17, do you get a Start button when starting up in Safe mode?

I was ment to say safemode ;) i'll admit thats my bad