Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help me get this messed up computer working for old couple

• Please log in to reply

strongirish

strongirish

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am trying to fix the computer for elderly couple next door that know nothing about computers. I am good enough to be dangerous. So here is what I know and if anyone can help, bless you.

They have a Dell Vostro 1000 computer with XP Home Edition. They picked up a virus called I believe Windowssecurity.ra which totally took over their system. I was able to remove the viris after much trouble with various removel programs by downloading them to my computer, burning a CD and using it on their computer. It worked fine for awhile but then acted up again so the old couple decided to just start over and reloaded the copy of the OP system that came with their computer. Now it is really messed up. All I get is a wallpaper with their account names on it, no icons, no task bars, no start button, nothing to control it. When I click on their account name, it tells me Windows has to authorize the Windows OP system. But I can't do this as I have no way to connect to internet and no controls. I have tried wirelss and connecting directg to cable click yes, but nothing happens. I decided to do a complete hardrive erase but the computer won't reboot using the CD Rom so I can't even do that. I am at a loss what to do and these old people are very poor and can't afford a tech and the computer is how they communicate with their kids. Any help I would appreciate it. Thanks

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I am trying to fix the computer for elderly couple next door that know nothing about computers.

If they nothing about computers

. It worked fine for awhile but then acted up again so the old couple decided to just start over and reloaded the copy of the OP system that came with their computer.

How did they do THIS, with the XP CD or a recovery partition.
I presume they must know which if they did it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 January 2011 - 02:29 PM.

strongirish

strongirish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
They used the CD that came with the computer. They said they just put it in the player and it ran itself.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

but the computer won't reboot using the CD Rom

Will it if you enter setup normally F2 may be delete - watch post screen it normally tells you Press * to enter setup.
Configure CD as first boot device.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 January 2011 - 02:43 PM.

strongirish

strongirish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I can do that in safe mode but then when it reboots, it never even turns on the CD. I have tried to do that several times.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Is the CD drive working when the computer is in Safe Mode. ie: does the drive open and run if you insert a CD.
If not is the drive shown in the BIOS.
Whether or not you can do it from Safe Mode. If it is shown in the BIOS please do it FROM there.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 January 2011 - 03:33 PM.

strongirish

strongirish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It will take the CD in, it will whir but I also get the message that Windows must authorize the OP so it won't let me in to do anything. When it comes to the bios, I am lost. I would need help or instructions to do that.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I suggest you format the HDD and start again. UNLESS that Dell Vostra came with a recovery partition on the hard drive from which it can be restored.
Go to the Dell site and search the Dell Vostra to ascertain the procedure if such applies. Normally F11 - but not always, on startup.
http://support.euro....ystems/vos1000/

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 January 2011 - 09:25 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

It will take the CD in, it will whir but I also get the message that Windows must authorize the OP so it won't let me in to do anything. When it comes to the bios, I am lost. I would need help or instructions to do that.

This sounds like you are attempting to reformat/ reload the OS while you are in safe mode.
That will not work!
You need to enter bios and make sure that the CD drive is the first boot device.

Lets try a couple things first to see where you are at.
1. Put the CD in the drive and turn the computer on.
You need to watch the screen very carefully.
Do you get any type of message to the effect of "To boot from CD hit any key"?
If so you must hit a key to boot from the CD.

During #1, does the CD drive attempt to start?

I suspect that you need to enter bios.
During boot up you must start tapping the required key. It could be del, F1, F2, esc

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL or F1 or F2 or Esc or F10 button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:

"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over. Then follow the prompts or if you need assistance we will help.