Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer very slow on startup

• Please log in to reply

Helger

Helger

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
My computer is very slow, every time, when i startup, it takes over like 15min+(World record?} to open like firefox. I deleted some stuff, but still, very slow. Also, a bit off topic, i have mouse problems, turning off sometime for no reason.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see back in September last year you never completed the malware steps HERE
Despite that I will try to assist you now.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Helger

Helger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
last problem, that i haved got fixed.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Problem one is the minimal amount of memory.

System Memory 512 MB

Though this probably was working all this time, with the installation of more programs and the increase in Autoruns your system is most likely eating up all your memory. 1 gig is the sweet spot for XP anymore so I would suggest increasing to that if you can.
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Second big problem is the lack of space that is free on your C drive.

C: (NTFS) 10236 MB (914 MB free) Problem: Disk free space is only 9% on drive C:.

At 10% or less the MFT or Master File Table will start to corrupt and in the end cause the system not to boot.
This needs to be freed up to stop the corruption from happening.

Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "DivXUpdate"
+ "StartCCC"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"
+ "DAEMON Tools Lite"
+ "msnmsgr"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

Helger

Helger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
did not change much. Thats the thing on C . I try and try but i cant get free space. Now max is 1.6 of free space. Already computer takes system files take 5g. And others places, where could i delete stuff, are hidden. So i dont know, how to get free space and what should i delete.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Restore points can use up to 30% of free space so try this.
If you would like to make System Restore use less disk space, here's how:

1. Go to Start>> Control Panel
2. Double click the System icon
3. Click the System Restore tab
4. If you have a single partition, click the Settings button and reduce the disk space allocation by sliding the bar to the left. If you have multiple partitions, select the partition and then click the Settings button. Again, sliding the bar to the left reduces the disk allocation.
5. When finished, click OK

Helger

Helger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
now, i have 1.91 GB of free space. Any other tips?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What I would suggest is Uninstalling All Programs you don't need or don't want anymore through Add/Remove Programs

Do this by going to

Start and then to Control Panel
Click Add/Remove Programs
Carefully choose the program(s) you don't need
Click on each Program then click Change/Remove and Follow the Uninstall Instructions

You may be prompted to Restart your computer.
Restart once you have all the programs you don't need uninstalled.
Be careful not to remove anything needed by your computer, some of which you may be unfamiliar with the name,

The next issue you need to be aware of is to Backup your Data Files.
For this I would suggest using a External Hard Drive Enclosure. This will allow you to keep your Important Data safe and Separated from the main system in case of problems.
I suggest going to Microsofts Backup Tutorial and follow the steps to do a Backup to a External Drive and also it will guide you on how to do a Scheduled Backup even at night.

Another way you can do a Backup is by using DVD’s. This method is just as effective and can be done using the same steps as above.
Please let me know if I can answer any further questions you may have as I am always happy to assist.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Your best solution would be to increase your memory to at least 1gb and increase the size of your C: partition, free as much space on your D: partition (either back it up on dvd or an usb external hd) and reallocate space from the d: back to your C: to get to at least 20gb (and more if you can) this will solve your Free Space issue on C:

Helger

Helger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I alread have done add/remove programs and backup is done
Buying more ram and bigger disk is pointless. I would also need to buy new gfx too and stuff. Just buy new computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Buying more ram is the single most thing that will speed your system up as it gives more memory for programs to store information instead of relying solely on the hd. A larger hd would allow the space that is free to be increased thus allowing faster access to the data also.
Since you have now stated you do not want to do that I'm not really sure where you want to go from here. :D
You could try turning off system indexing on the main drive to increase the speed a little but again it;'s only a temporary fix. Eventually this will do you no good.

Buying more ram and bigger disk is pointless. I would also need to buy new gfx too and stuff. Just buy new computer.

For the reason stated above the first part of your statement makes no sense.
The last part I don't understand as the graphics card has nothing to do with the speed of your system. If you prefer to discuss the purchasing of a new computer be it a name brand or building one of your own then we can direct our focus there.
Though I have not asked I have not seen you state if there is any improvement in the speed of your system since all steps have been taken. With what we have done you now have almost 20% free space open on your system which should have helped the overall speed a lot.

Helger

Helger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
well, it is a lot faster now. Ty for help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and I hope it will now do what you need it to do. :D