Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

how to improve my pc

• Please log in to reply

babyfaceassassin

babyfaceassassin

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
i got emachine el1850 with 220watts of power supply. im not sure if this is what they call micro atx but its smaller than atx case. i opened it and notice i got 1 pci-e x16. i know that i can use that slot for my graphics card but my power supply is just 220watts. my question is do i need to buy power supply as well if i want to buy good graphics card?? if i buy a good graphics card and good amount of power supply lets say 500 or 600 watts could my processor keep up?? i already ask about my memory and planning to upgrade it to 4GB. my power supply looks smaller than ordinary power supply so is it micro atx?? i search it in internet but cant find if it is micro atx or whatever the size it might called. my processor is pentium E5700 and the chipset is g41. pls advise me if getting a good graphics card and power supply would be a waste of money considering the speed of processor. thanks in advance

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Whew a lot to answer so I'll take it one at a time.

im not sure if this is what they call micro atx but its smaller than atx case.

Yep

i know that i can use that slot for my graphics card but my power supply is just 220watts. my question is do i need to buy power supply as well if i want to buy good graphics card??

I would say yes because the GPU needs a power connector from the PSU which I highly doubt is on that 220.

if i buy a good graphics card and good amount of power supply lets say 500 or 600 watts could my processor keep up??

Should not be a issue

i already ask about my memory and planning to upgrade it to 4GB

If you are running a 32 bit OS then it will only utilize 3.5 gigs at best of the memory.

my power supply looks smaller than ordinary power supply so is it micro atx?? i search it in internet but cant find if it is micro atx or whatever the size it might called.

Measure the height, width and length of your current PSU. Most places have the measurements in the tech sheet of the PSU.

pls advise me if getting a good graphics card and power supply would be a waste of money considering the speed of processor. thanks in advance

This really depends on what your planned use is for the system. Being the low wattage of the PSU I highly doubt you are going to get the greatest FPS on any games you might play.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

my power supply looks smaller than ordinary power supply so is it micro atx??

These are often called "low profile". But as recommended, measure before buying a replacement. Note too there are very few low profile PSUs with capacities over 300W. So research your card carefully first, then make sure you can find a "quality" PSU to support it before committing your money.

babyfaceassassin

babyfaceassassin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
thanks a lot rshaffer and digerati. my pc is 64bit so its 4GB RAM capable. ok ill going to measure my power supply but may i know why should measure it?? are there no standard size for that?? is low profile different from micro atx?? ive seen a 400 watts in micro atx but i dont know in low profile.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As I stated when you look at the PSU online there is normally a spec sheet that will give the dimensions of the PSU so you can compare them.
No micro atx and low profile does not really mean they are the same.

babyfaceassassin

babyfaceassassin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
ok. thanks for the help . much appreciated

babyfaceassassin

babyfaceassassin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
one more question that i almost forgot. if in case i decided to really improve my pc performance will any socket 775 processor will do?? just like what i post above mine is pentium e5700 i checked one site and they have pentium e6800 socket 775 as well which i think a better processor than what i have now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have the owners manual look in it as it should tell you all the cpus the motherboard will handle.
If not a simple Google search for cpu replacement for that motherboard will.