Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer is not running optimally

• Please log in to reply

WilliamRP1988

WilliamRP1988

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Okay, so I recently upgraded my computer's graphics card from a 512MB to a 1GB DDR2 to give my computer the ability to ply the game Company of Heroes in all its bells and whistles; ultra graphics settings, the whole nine. But there is a problem. As before I installed the new graphics card, the game lags terribly bad. Its scrolling speed is atrocious. It likes to even freeze from time to time (not for thirty minutes mind you.). I have been told by rshaffer61 that I have the necessary equipment to play the game on these settings.

However, when I go to Games-->Company of Heroes (Don't click, its in the side box.)Click learn about these scores-->Performance Information and Tools.

Components & What is Rated:

Processor: Calculations per second

Memory (RAM): Memory Operations per second: 3.8(9)

Graphics:Desktop Performance for Windows Aero: 4.9

Gaming Graphics: 3d Business and gaming graphics performance: 5.9

Primary Hard Disk: Disk Data transfer rate: 5.4

So I have a base score of 3.8. Also when I do a performance test that is part of the graphics options in the game it says I have like a 4.0 Frame Rate but the minimum is 7 something and the maximum is 10.5.

I have Maleware Bytes on, AVG 2011, SUPER AntiSpyware. I have run Ausilogics Defrag,OLT, ProPit ( I dun remember this one.), HWMonitor, and Everest. Every option that rshaffer61 suggested so far hasn't really made an improvement. He said he thinks I MAY have maleware, that a Maleware tech could do a more detailed scan?

Attached Files

Edited by WilliamRP1988, 22 January 2011 - 02:35 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Your post in the waiting room pointed to your hardware question so it was a bit difficult to find this one. Expect this one was ignored because you attached your files instead of copying and pasting as required.

You should uninstall Frostwire immediately. This P2P program is notorious for being a virus delivery program.

Looking at your extras logs I see a problem with sptd:

"Error - 1/21/2011 8:02:21 PM | Computer Name = william-PC | Source = sptd | ID = 262148
Description = Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .

Error - 1/21/2011 8:03:05 PM | Computer Name = william-PC | Source = Service Control Manager | ID = 7026
Description = The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
sptd

Error - 1/22/2011 3:56:21 AM | Computer Name = william-PC | Source = sptd | ID = 262148

Error - 1/22/2011 3:57:04 AM | Computer Name = william-PC | Source = Service Control Manager | ID = 7026
Description = The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
sptd

Error - 1/22/2011 5:47:53 AM | Computer Name = william-PC | Source = sptd | ID = 262148

Error - 1/22/2011 5:48:41 AM | Computer Name = william-PC | Source = Service Control Manager | ID = 7026
sptd"

This driver is part of winamp and daemon tools and other programs but is not uninstalled when you uninstall them. Uninstall winamp then see How can I remove SPTD driver on 32-bit OS? on http://www.duplexsec...q#remove_32sptd
and uninstall sptd.

Next 1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Check both boxes and then click Start.
You will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check but don't restart yet.

Start, Run, eventvwr.msc, OK to bring up the Event Viewer. Click on the arrow in front of Event Viewer and then on Windows Logs. Right click on System and Clear Log, Clear , OK. Repeat for Application. Reboot. The disk check will run and will probably take an hour or more to finish.

Reinstall winamp if you need it for the COH (Right click the install file and Run As administrator). If not leave it off until we finish.

Start, Run, sfc /scannow, OK

SPACE after sfc. This will check your critical system files. If it asks for a CD and you don't have one or it doesn't like your CD just tell it to SKIP.

Start, Run, sigverif, OK

Press Start. This will check your drivers. If you just get a few when it finishes tell me what they are. If you get a lot do a screen copy and attach it.

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Double-click VEW.exe
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.

Get Process Explorer

http://live.sysinter...com/procexp.exe

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run As Administrator). Click once or twice on the CPU column header to sort things by CPU usage with the big hitters at the top. What do you see in the top 5 and what percentage does each use. File, Save As, Save. Open the file Procexp.txt on your desktop and copy and paste the text to a reply.

I see you have installed OpenCL so this article may be of some use:

http://www.geeks3d.c...-amd-platforms/

I don't see any obvious malware but it wouldn't hurt to run a couple of scans to make sure:

Run:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
:!: If you have a previous version of MalwareBytes', remove it via Add or Remove Programs and download a fresh copy. :!:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

SAVE Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

* Richtclick on mbam-setup.exe and Run As Administrator and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

* When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location.
* The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt
* Post that log back here.

Download but do not yet run ComboFix
:!: If you have a previous version of Combofix.exe, delete it and download a fresh copy. :!:

:!: It must be saved to your desktop, do not run it :!:

:!: Disable your Antivirus software when downloading or running Combofix. If it has Script Blocking features, please disable these as well. See: http://www.bleepingc...opic114351.html

Download and Rename this file -- (call it george.exe ) to your Desktop -- from either of these two sources:
http://download.blee...Bs/ComboFix.exe
http://subs.geekstogo.com/ComboFix.exe

Right click on george and Run As Administrator to start the program.

* :!: Important: Have no other programs running. Your Task Bar should be clear of any program entries including your Browser.

* A window may open with a series of Disclaimers. Accept the Disclaimers to start the fix. When the scan completes Notepad will open with with your results log open. Do a File, Exit and answer 'Yes' to save changes.

A caution - Do not run Combofix more than once. Do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed, as this may cause the process to stall or your computer to lock. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop. Even when ComboFix appears to be doing nothing, look at your Drive light. If it is flashing, Combofix is still at work.

A file will be created at => C:\Combofix.txt. I'll need to see that in your reply.

Re-activate your protection programs at this time :!:

Ron