Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not delete Outdated Java 6 and Adobe Applications

• Please log in to reply

rose86420

rose86420

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I was trying to figure out how to detect key logger or a virus as I opened an e-mail in my Spam folder and clicked on an attachment. I was working with SweetTech on this and this is the link.

http://www.geekstogo...ogger-or-virus/

Sweet Tech from Greeks To Go referred me as my Java 6 and Adobe are outdated but I could not remove them. I have Windows 7, 32 bit. The link shows you what we've done. I'm a real novice at this but I tried to follow all the steps I was told to do but nothing worked. Please advise me as to what I should try next.

Thank you for your help,
Rose

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

So we are removing Java and Adobe. Lets get started and this shouldn't take long. I see from your log you are using Home Premium which will either be Windows Vista and Windows 7 so I will explain how to do this using these 2 operating systems.

• Download Revo Uninstaller (free edition) from here
  • Save the file to your desktop, for example C:\users\your username goes here\desktop
  • Double click the file to open and install it
  • Find the programs you wish to remove and double click them to begin the removal process
  • Make sure you do the advanced uninstall as it removes the whole program
When the programs are removed get the updated versions and install them.

rose86420

rose86420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I downloaded Revo and tried to remove Java™ 6 update 6 when I get the error shown on the attached file Revo 1. When I go to uninstall Java™ 6 update 23 I get the error shown in Revo 2.

I have Windows 7, 32 bit system. I found these links with other people that had the same problem.

http://forums.oracle...229535
http://forums.oracle...422337&tstart=0

The second link suggests some downloads that could fix the problem. As I really don't understand most of the postings, maybe you could shed some light on this. I don't want to download something that could make things worse.

I appreciate your help.
Rose

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

Lets work on Java first and how did the Adobe one go? For the Java one please do the following

• Download JavaRa from here
  • Please extract the file to your desktop (for example C:\users\username\desktop)
  • Right click on JavaRa.exe and select Run as Administrator
  • Select the language you wish to use
  • Click remove older versions

After the removal you may need to restart your computer. When this is done use the software to check for updates.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 22 January 2011 - 09:55 PM.

rose86420

rose86420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I follow the steps you outline. I try to save a logfile when removing old files. This logfile quickly opens and closes, don't know if there is anything in it. Then I go on to get updates and it brings me to a page where I try to download Java
A Java Setup box appears and says, "Internal Error 2753.regutils.dll."

Haven't started with the Adobe issue yet.
Thanks, Rose

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello Rose

I updated the post above just as you were replying as I found an error as well. With Windows 7 it requires administrator privileges so you need to right click the application. I have found the issue I think regarding Java and I think it maybe down to a dll file? if so I have it sorted and can be done with Revo Uninstaller. Use Revo Uninstaller to remove Java. Use the advanced remove option as this is needed. When the removal process begins and if you get that same error continue without closing the application. You will be prompted to remove the remaining registry files, click select all and remove then do this with the files and folders on the next page.

This will remove Java and will allow you to install the newer version. My Windows 7 installation is fresh and I had that issue and worked for me. For safety just incase anything goes wrong which it should create a system restore point.

Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore

Thanks

rose86420

rose86420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thank you so much! I can't believe it's really gone. Now tell me where I how to install the new version.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello Rose

Now that thats gone we will start with the new installation.

• To download Java please click here
  • Select the option which says Windows 7/XP/Vista/2000/2003/2008 Offline filesize: 15.3 MB
  • This will then begin to download, when it has finished locate the downloaded file which will be in 1 of 2 places depending on where you have saved it to (C:\users\username\desktop or C:\users\username\downloads then double click the proceed with the installation.
  • If you prefer to do an online install please select the option above the one which I have reccomended

Regards

rose86420

rose86420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Perfect, went very smoothly. Now about Adobe Reader. I tried to remove it using Revo. Being new, I removed Adobe Reader once but them it found more files. Not knowing what to do I didn't remove all parts of it. Now I can't find those pieces. Also, am I supposed to remove all Adobe things like Adobe Air, Adobe Flash Player Active X and Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin?

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Remove every single Adobe product and if you wish install the new versions.

Adobe Reader
Adobe Air
Abobe Flash Player

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 23 January 2011 - 10:28 AM.

Advertisements

rose86420

rose86420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I removed all Adobe products with your kind help. I can't believe it. You really made my day! I understand Foxit Reader is a better program? What is your thought on that? Do I need any part of Adobe or is Foxit Reader all I need?
Thanks so much!
Rose

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello Rose

I'm glad to see everything has worked out for you. I can't comment on Foxit Reader as I haven't used it as i've always used Adobe Acrobat Reader and if I need to create PDF files I export from Open Office. From what i've heard Foxit Reader is small, fast, and light but I don't really know as I haven't used it. If you would like to try it then it can be found here

Foxit Reader doesn't cover everything but you will still need Adobe Flash player to view websites like Youtube etc...

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 24 January 2011 - 08:07 AM.

rose86420

rose86420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thank you for all your help! All is working well.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
ok no problem and glad I could help

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

I would like to thank you for the input you have provided however it seems that this matter has been resolved. There was an error removing the application so we had to remove it another way without add/remove programs. At times some applications can get corrupted and at times are hard to remove and also at times add/remove programs is unable to remove these. There are some manual ways to do this however Revo Uninstaller does this process for you in a safe way about it.

Once again thank you for your input.