Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safe to delte these programs/files?

• Please log in to reply

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, Windows XP PROF SP3 I ran a HJT and couldn't find a lot of info that these programs were needed, so I deleted them. I think I should have checked here FIRST, but now that it is after the fact, I just want to make SURE I didn't just mess something up. If they ARE needed, is there any way to get them back? Yeah, I should know better, but was doing some cleaning. Maybe cleaned too much? ;)

Oh, and I am on dial up. I don't use AOL, I don't have AOL. I have dial up. TIA :D

C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exeAOLacsd.exe

O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe

Edited by Tee*Cee, 22 January 2011 - 08:05 PM.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Tee*Cee,

AOL (America Online) is an American global Internet services and media company. I believe it is now known as AOL Inc. AOLacsd.exe is part of the AOL Internet Software and relates to the connection driver, which is required for the AOL Internet connection to work. If you do not have this service as your Internet Provider then it is unnecessary and more than likely was "bundled" along with your computer software when you purchased the computer.

As a warning, HijackThis is an advanced tool, and therefore requires advanced knowledge about Windows and operating systems in general. If you delete items that it shows, without knowing what they are, it can lead to other problems such as your Internet no longer working or problems with running Windows itself. This tool should only be used by an expert who has been trained to use it properly.

Please! Do not use this tool without the guidance of an expert, even if it is to merely clean up your system. Most of what HiJackThis shows is required.

Are you having any problems that makes you think you may have cleaned too much?

Donna :D

Edited by DonnaB, 22 January 2011 - 09:48 PM.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi Donna, Thanks, as far as problems, no, just did some cleaning, and yes, I do know how to use HJT. I keep an eye on things better with it. (I was in the Malware training program too! ;)

I don't have AOL, and never used AOL. It was bundled with my computer, and I was just trying to clean it up a bit, get rid of the bloat ware. :D I have heard of others that removed it, saying it was just bloating, and I figured, Hmmm, Might as well, I don't use it anyway.

Computer runs fine. Just think I should have asked first, but as long as it is just the garbage, I should be fine.

Thanks for reaffirming what I was thinking! ;)

Have enough good programs that I use, don't need the garbage.

Have a great evening!