Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Church PC build

• Please log in to reply

adanniels

adanniels

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hey everyone, long time now post. I am in a bit of a pickle. A church in town has asked me to quote them a price on a computer to run video and audio in there medium size church. they are putting in three 50+ inch tv's and 1 projector. They are going to use them for videos and to projector to show slides during service. He says he isn't worried about high definition but wants a good clear picture.

my question is what size graphics card and how many do i need to run those sizes clearly without filling up all the pci slots because i know i need a wireless card and a killer creative titanium sound card.

I plan on using a full size tower and ATX motherboard so size won't be an issue for bigger cards.

Thanks for the help

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,759 posts
Hi.

Matrox, quad output and beyond, seem to have most presence on the web. > http://www.matrox.co...graphics_cards/ and if they can't help might be prepared to point you in the right direction.

You would probably have to have a second card for the projector display.

What system will you build?

adanniels

adanniels

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks for the help iammykyl. I looked at the site,I have never heard of them. I was leaning to HD gaming cards like my favorite ATi radeon HD 5770. I can fit three in the case and run them in crossfire or not. Would that be enough video ram to do it?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

I have never heard of them.

Matrox released their first graphics card in 1978. Currently their card designs lean towards specialized, enterprise, industrial, and government applications.

adanniels

adanniels

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks for the info spywareDr. Are they pricey? And does anyone know if my idea will work?

adanniels

adanniels

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
another question, how would these tv's/projector hook up to the computer. i know they don't make hdmi cables that long, dvi or vga either for that matter. i was thinking coaxial cable but i do not know how good of picture that will give

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Assuming the TVs and projector will all be showing the same thing:

Step 1: Buy any graphics card which uses the PCI Express x16 interface and has 2 DVI ports. You can see Newegg's selection of such cards here.
Step 2: Buy two DVI splitters.
Step 3: Assuming the TVs and projector take HDMI input, they make DVI to HDMI cables up to 100 feet long. Hopefully that's long enough for your needs.
Step 4: Connect everything.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,759 posts

Assuming the TVs and projector will all be showing the same thing:

Step 1: Buy any graphics card which uses the PCI Express x16 interface and has 2 DVI ports. You can see Newegg's selection of such cards here.
Step 2: Buy two DVI splitters.
Step 3: Assuming the TVs and projector take HDMI input, they make DVI to HDMI cables up to 100 feet long. Hopefully that's long enough for your needs.
Step 4: Connect everything.

The projector will have a different display.

Do you think a consumer card would be powerful enough to display on 50in TVs at a reasonable resolution"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If stettybet0's suggestions are not a goer.

I would contact Matrox and tell them what you plan to do, including the distance to each TV. to see if they have a ready made solution.

This is the card I think you would need, >
http://www.matrox.co...ries/g450x4mms/
retail about $700

Or the new M series, > http://www.matrox.co...m9140lppciex16/ Lost the link for a price.

length of cables would be the question.

adanniels

adanniels

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Length of cables are definitly a question. The church is doing this in the near future. 52" plasma are a little sketchy to me, that was the rumored size. I was told theY have 1 42" right now I think that sounds big enough. The only thing I didn't like about the matrox cards is the $700 one only has 128mb of memory. I would assume that low of memory would push most of the video to the ram instead of the video card. Right?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

The projector will have a different display.

If that's the case, then all that needs to be changed is a second video card from this list will need to be purchased, and only one DVI splitter is needed. Then, connect the 3 TVs which will be showing the same thing to one video card (using the DVI splitter), and connect the projector to the other video card. This will allow the projector to have a display independent of the TVs.

Do you think a consumer card would be powerful enough to display on 50in TVs at a reasonable resolution"

Unless the church will be rendering 3D video in real time (ie. playing 3D games or using 3D modelling software), any consumer video card on that list will be more than powerful enough to show videos or powerpoints on virtually unlimited monitors (only limited by number of connections available). These activities really don't even involve the processing power of the GPU or video RAM (though some GPUs will decode HD video, that task can always be done by the CPU instead).

adanniels

adanniels

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
well any powerful GPU (such as the 5770's) can output to 3 different monitors individually. what i assumed is the more gpu ram the better becasuse i don't want the cpu under a heavy load.

for the displays all you will need to do is connect the tv's up and tell the display settings to duplicate the two displays and the projector to extend. because there will be a monitor hooked up in the AV room for tweaking things.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
So, is your question then, "does a video card need to have an abundance of video RAM to display videos and slideshows on 4 displays?" The answer is no. Assuming the displays use a resolution of 1920x1080 (1080p), and a color depth of 32 bits ("true color"), the size of the frame buffer which will be made in the video RAM for each display is 1920*1080*32 = 66355200 bits / 8 bits = 8294400 bytes / 1048576 bytes = ~7.91MB. So you'll need 32MB for all four displays, actually probably less since three of the displays are simply being duplicated, but I'm not going to look up and verify that later point since you're not going to be buying a video card with less than 32MB of video RAM anyways.

adanniels

adanniels

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
wow very technical but i understand. thanks stettybet0