Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
My system restore will not work. Message I get is "this restore date cannot be restored". Have tried quite a few times and even in safe mode but the message is always the same.

PC stats: AMD Phenom™II X4 955 Processor
3.21 GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM
AV is Avast
Browser - IE
Email - Thunderbird
Cleaning Programs: CCleaner, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Spyware Blaster
Win XP Home Edition

Can advise?

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
SR has always been a waste of HDD space. Once you have your current issue sorted, I suggest disabling SR and leaving it disabled.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302796

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Really?! Did not realize that. Will consider it as I sort out my issues here. thanks for your input.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Of the 50+ times I've attempted to use SR, it's worked once IIRC.

What is the issue which caused you to use SR? Depending on what the issue is, perhaps sfc /scannow may be of use to you.

http://www.microsoft...r.mspx?mfr=true

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Am having bootup and log off issues with error messages.

Bootup error message = Disc Read error use CAD to continue
Logoff error message = Run time error, application is trying to end in an unusual way.

Re bootup - have checked the bios and it is set to read from the hard disc. I do not do anything in the bios since I do not know what I am doing there but can read the info that is set there.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Of the 50+ times I've attempted to use SR, it's worked once IIRC.

What is the issue which caused you to use SR? Depending on what the issue is, perhaps sfc /scannow may be of use to you.

http://www.microsoft...r.mspx?mfr=true

Hello would you mind using full speech instead of text talk as some people may not understand you ;) also disabling system restore is not reccomended as if you have any issues as a later date you will not be able to restore to an earlier date ;) just thought id point that out as it can save you. But also in the other way I know what you mean ;) but still :D and i'll agree with the System File Checker utility.

Also do use this do the following.

• Goto start and select run
  • type in cmd and hit enter
  • Type sfc /scannow

Edited by wizzy2k5, 23 January 2011 - 10:54 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Bootup error message = Disc Read error use CAD to continue

This error usually references a hard drive problem.

Are you able to continue and get in to windows?

I would not disable the system restore function. It just might save you sometime.
The system restore can be corrupted due to a virus. It can also get corrupted if you run defrag on it.
Lets get you sorted out first.

Do you have a valid XP CD?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC
- Which stands for System File Checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
thanks so much for the extra info Wizzy - will follow through on both suggestions of using the utility mentioned. Keep you posted how I make out so others with similar problems might profit.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Yes have valid XP disc and it is an OEM
About to run the sfc /scannow - will report back.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
used the run sfc /scannow and finally after some work came up with the window that was checking my system. End result was that there were no incompatibilities in my system that would interfere with any processes like system restore I guess. Not sure what this means or how to resolve the system restore issue now.

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

The system restore can be corrupted due to a virus. It can also get corrupted if you run defrag on it.

I reccomend that you post this problem in our malware removal forum. Please read the following topic here and then post your problem here.
Please post your problem there where our experts will be more than happy to assist you :D

This will eradicate any issues regarding Malware installed on your system as this can hide in any place possible.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 23 January 2011 - 12:20 PM.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Thank you so much for all your help Wizzy. Do appreciate it. Will follow through on your suggestion and links to further investigate what might be going wrong on my PC. Again thanks for following this thread and endeavoring to help me. :D

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
After you get a clean bill of health from the malware forum you can return here if you are still having a problem.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello it really could be anything at the moment. Here is what I am going to take you through at the first few steps.

• Malware check
  • Full GUI repair installation
  • Full hard drive diagnostics
When the malware diagnosis has been complete I would like you to do a repair installation of Windows XP. Details on this can be found here

Instead of jumping into things I always eradicate any software problems before moving onto the hardware side of things.
Regards

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Thank you - will remember that. :D