Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
:D ok no problem when all the above has been complete and is still the same report back here ;) also while I remember I would like you to get me the make of your hard drive. To do this do the following

• Select start and goto run
  • In the run box type devmgmt.msc and hit enter
  • Locate disk drives and tell me everything which is under it
Thanks

Edited by wizzy2k5, 23 January 2011 - 12:58 PM.

Advertisements

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
OK re the future of my problem. May be somewhat slow in following through as school semester starts at our local college and will be caught up in meetings, new class etc. Always rather a hectic and busy time and I am on my PC quite a bit searching for material for class, developing lessons etc. etc.

But do want to follow through with your ideas to see if I can resolve what is going on or rather NOT going happening on my PC. :D Hope you do not lose patience until I can get started on the issue at hand.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
don't worry about it ;) I have 362 days a year spare so i'm in no rush :D

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
1 - Hitachi HDS721050CLA362
2 - WD 1200BEVExternal USB Device

#2 I happen to have my USB Ext. Hard Drive in the a USB port right now

Anything more I can do? :D

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Yes but don't do it yet :D just do the preparation only ;)

• Download Hitachi Drive Fitness Test from here (select CD Image)
  • Download IMGBurn from here
  • Install IMGBurn and insert a CD/DVD into your CD/DVD drive and burn the image to disk. You will need to locate the image so save to the desktop and browse from IMGBurn (browse is located at the top after you have selected the option to burn to disk)
  • There is also a user guide but i'll worry about that ;) do the quick test first and report back with the error code, then if needed I will ask you to do the extended test.
But first do the malware check then repair install before doing the hard drive diagnostics.

Regards

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
OK so this is the time line am I understanding it correctly?
Malware check first
Then Hitachi drive check next? :D

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
In this order :D

• Malware check
  • Windows XP repair installation
  • Hitachi Drive Fitness Test

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would actually do the malware check after you do a check disk.
I believe you have a couple issues that are going on.
My biggest concern is the disk read error that you are getting.
Evidently you can still boot in to windows.

When you get the disk read error, what do you need to do to continue? or does it continue to boot automatically?

I would do the process as follows.

Check disk
Hitachi disk check
Malware check
then return here if still having a problem.

Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Or you can do it like 123Runner says but for me I eradicate all software errors before hardware but just my preferences :D

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Gotch :D ya

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Good good :D when done report back here ;)

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Remember I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to PC matters and trying to understand directions and follow them. So it will also take me time to sort out the info to use.

Also I have found when using online techs, what they say I will see on my monitor screen is often very different but I suppose that is due to everyone's PC and programs being different. So with this said will start out eliminating all software problems first when I do start as I understand then better and then tackle hardware. Hardware is always an enigma to me :D

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Then I can not help you any further since you have neglected to answer any of my questions.
There are steps that need to be taken to ensure that the hard disk is in good shape. With out doing those steps, then all the software checks in the world are not going to help you.

If the disk has corruption on it (running chkdsk will help determine this) or the disk is failing (hard drive test), then the malware forum can't help and neither can the repair install.

I will let wizzy2k5 continue with you and I will monitor the post accordingly.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Please do not push me to respond. First of all I am getting confused between two differing posters coming at me with all this information of what to do,second I am somewhat of a PC novice to begin with and I want to make sure I know what I am doing so I do not make matters worse, and third I start back to work this week and so am also caught up in school preparations.

I will get to work soon as I have some time to figure out what it is I am to do here and how to do it.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Have posted on the malware site as directed and waiting for a response to take it from there.